- Lifeline consists of three programs:
- Lifeline Credit Program provides a $225 credit on electric and gas utility bills for eligible beneficiaries.
- Tenants Lifeline Assistance Program provides a $225 check to eligible tenants who have the cost of gas and electric utilities included in their rent.
- Special Utility Supplement provides a supplement of up to $18.75 a month to recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) in place of a Lifeline Utility credit or Tenants Lifeline Assistance payment.
- Must be a recipient of PAAD;
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for PAAD;
- Must be a recipient of Medical Assistance to the Aged (MAA);
- Must be a recipient of Medical Assistance Only (MAO); or
- Must be a recipient of the New Jersey Care.
- For additional information call toll free 1-800-792-9745.
Lifeline is a utility assistance program that offers $225 to persons who meet the PAAD eligibility requirements or who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI). This includes utility customers as well as tenants whose utility bills are included in their rent.
Only one tenant in a household is entitled to this assistance.
You are eligible for the Lifeline benefit if you are a recipient of Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled (PAAD). Persons applying for PAAD will also apply for their Lifeline benefit by answering the questions that pertain to the Lifeline programs. Persons who are beneficiaries of Medical Assistance to the Aged (MAA), Medical Assistance Only (MAO), or New Jersey Care, are sent Lifeline applications automatically every August.
If you are not a beneficiary of these programs, but you meet the eligibility requirements for PAAD, an application is available here (Word) (PDF).
Recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) should NOT file an application for Lifeline. The Lifeline benefit is automatically included in the SSI checks.
Your Lifeline benefit provides for only electricity and natural gas. Other fuels, such as bottled or propane gas, oil, coal, or wood, are NOT covered.
If you pay utility bills directly to a single utility company, a $225 credit will appear on your utility bill. If you receive service from two different companies, the $225 credit will be divided equally between the two utilities. If the cost of your utilities is included in your rent, you will receive a check for $225.
Your Lifeline application pertains only to your primary place of residence. Seasonal or temporary residence in New Jersey is not considered a primary residence.
When two or more persons share a single household, Lifeline will only accept one application from that household. The application must be in the name of the person whose name appears on the utility bills or the lease.
If you pay utility bills to two different companies (with one bill in your name and the other in your spouse's name) you must report this on your application. Your Lifeline credit will be divided equally and applied to each account.