Protecting Seniors from Medicare & Medicaid Waste, Fraud and Abuse
To Report Medicare or Medicaid Waste, Fraud and Abuse, or to Become a SMP Volunteer,call 1-732-777-1940, ext. 1117
Be InformedBillions of tax-payer dollars are lost each year to Medicare and Medicaid waste, fraud and abuse. These health insurance programs provide security for you and your family. We need your help to ensure that these vital programs will continue to have the money to provide good, quality healthcare for you and future generations.
Although the vast majority of healthcare providers are honest, the activities of the remaining few result in wasted funds for the Medicare and Medicaid programs and a loss of quality of care for you.
Be AwareYou might have found an instance of Medicare or Medicaid waste, fraud or abuse if...
- You are billed for a service that you have not received.
- You are asked to provide your Medicare or Medicaid number when a service or supply is advertised as "free".
- You continue to receive medical supplies when they are no longer necessary.
- You do not receive necessary medical supplies or treatments ordered (i.e. your prescription is for sixty pills but your vial only contains forty).
You can protect yourself and help preserve the Medicare and Medicaid programs for future generations if you...
- Never give your Medicare or Medicaid number to strangers.
- Never give your Medicare or Medicaid number to anyone offering a "free" service.
- Never accept medical supplies or equipment from a door-to-door salesperson.
- Always review your medical billing statements (most healthcare fraud involves billing for services not provided).
- Always review your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) for errors.
- Always call your provider if you need clarification of questionable charges.
- Always keep a record of your healthcare appointments and services received.
- Always report suspicious activities to 1-732-777-1940, ext. 1117 (all reports are confidential).
Be InvolvedVolunteers are critical to the success of this effort. Since 1993, billions of dollars in healthcare savings have been realized due to government and volunteer efforts to stop waste, fraud and abuse of the Medicare and Medicaid programs.
You can help make a difference in your community by joining the SMP volunteer program. Our volunteer activities include ...
- Helping beneficiaries review their Medicare Summary Notices (MSNs).
- Giving educational presentations.
- Distributing information at health fairs and community events.
All SMP of New Jersey volunteers receive training and ongoing support. To join our growing team of dedicated SMP volunteers call 1-732-777-1940, ext. 1117. SMP volunteer benefits persons of all ages because it...
- Educates beneficiaries and their caregivers making them informed healthcare consumers.
- Trains retired professionals to be volunteer advocates.
- Teaches beneficiaries how to identify and report billing errors and instances of potential fraud and abuse.
- Realizes significant savings due to the efforts of our wonderful volunteers.
- Prevents waste, fraud and abuse that drain billions of dollars each year from the Medicare and Medicaid programs.
- Ensures quality and quantity of healthcare services that beneficiaries receive.
- Preserves Medicare and Medicaid programs for future generations.
Be LinkedFor more information on preventing Medicare and Medicaid waste, fraud and abuse, visit these websites:
SMP of New Jersey has been created by a federal grant awarded by the U.S. Administration on Aging to Jewish Family & Vocational Service of Middlesex County (JFVS). SMP of New Jersey is a partnership involving JFVS, the New Jersey Department of Human Services (DHS) and the New Jersey State Office of the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP).