of New Jersey
WHEREAS, economic growth and the creation of high-quality jobs are essential to the continued well-being and prosperity of the State of New Jersey; and
WHEREAS, sustaining New Jersey's position as one of the nation's most prosperous states and most vital centers of innovation demands proactive leadership in increasingly competitive times; and
WHEREAS, since the beginning of this administration, the Office of Economic Growth, operating as a unit within the Governor's Office, has been working to develop and implement statewide economic development policies, including developing the recently announced "Economic Growth Strategy for New Jersey 2007" (Economic Growth Strategy); and
WHEREAS, steps toward implementation of the Economic Growth Strategy already have been taken through the creation of the New Jersey Economic Growth Council and the Action Council on the Economy; and
WHEREAS, further implementation of the Economic Growth Strategy would be enhanced by making the Office of Economic Growth a permanent part of the executive branch of State government through allocation to a principal department; and
WHEREAS, such allocation will better enable the Office of Economic Growth to work cooperatively with other agencies through formal arrangements that will help ensure successful implementation of the Economic Growth Strategy;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JON S. CORZINE, Governor of the State of New Jersey, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and by the Statutes of this State, do hereby ORDER and DIRECT:
- The Office of Economic Growth, which currently operates as a unit within the Governor's Office, and its functions, powers, duties and personnel are hereby continued and allocated to the Department of the Treasury. Notwithstanding this allocation the Office shall be in but not of the Department and shall be independent of any supervision and control by the Department or any officer thereof. The Office of Economic Growth shall assist in and oversee the implementation of the State's Economic Growth Strategy and shall coordinate the State's economic development efforts across all sectors and departments.
- The Office of Economic Growth shall be headed by a Chief of Economic Growth who shall be a cabinet-level official appointed by, reporting to, and serving at the pleasure of the Governor.
- The Office of Economic Growth shall be authorized to call upon the expertise and assistance of all State departments, divisions, authorities, and agencies to carry out its mission, including but not limited to the New Jersey Economic Development Authority, the Commerce, Economic Growth and Tourism Commission, and the Department of the Treasury.
- Each State department, division, authority, and agency shall be required, to the extent not inconsistent with law, to cooperate with the Office of Economic Growth.
- The Office of Economic Growth may, consistent with law, consult and contract with private and public entities and enter into such agreements with public and private individuals or entities as necessary to further the mission of the Office of Economic Growth. In addition, the Chief and Deputy Chief of the Office of Economic Growth each are hereby authorized, consistent with law, to enter into letters of intent in furtherance of the mission of the Office of Economic Growth.
- This Order shall take effect immediately.
GIVEN, under my hand and seal this 5th day
Two Thousand and Seven, and of
the Independence of the United States, the
Hundred and Thirty-First.
/s/ Jon S. Corzine
/s/ Kenneth H. Zimmerman
Chief Counsel to the Governor