Board of Nursing
Seven Step Decision Making Model:
Algorithm for Determining Scope of Nursing Practice
- Is the act consistent with your scope of practice and the Rules and Regulations in the New Jersey Board of Nursing Practice Act?
- Is the act consistent with the Board's Guidelines regarding nursing practice?
- Is the act supported by Standards of Nursing Practice or scope of practice statements from professional nursing organizations, and research data in nursing and health related literature?
- Is the act to be performed within accepted "standards of care" which would be provided by a reasonable, prudent nurse in this setting?
- Do you posses the required knowledge and have you demonstrated the clinical competency required to implement the act safely?
- Is the act authorized by a valid order (written agreement with collaborating physician for the advanced practice nurse), and in accordance with established institutional, agency or provider protocols, policies and procedures?
- Are you prepared to assume accountability of the act and for the outcome of the care rendered?
If YES to all of the above, you may perform the act based upon a valid order (written agreement with collaborating physician for advanced practice nurses), and in accordance with the institution, agency or provider's established protocols, policies and procedures.
New Jersey Board of Nursing Decision-Making Model Algorithm
New Jersey Board of Nursing Fact Sheet: Decisions Making Model for Delegations of Selected Nursing Tasks
N.J.A.C. 13:37-6.2, Delegation of Selected Nursing Tasks