Guide to Megan's Law Brochure
para Ciudadanos sobre la Ley Megan
If you have received a notification flyer from law enforcement
that there is a convicted sex offender in this neighborhood.
You must comply with the following rules:
may do the following:
1. Do show and discuss the information you have received
with immediate household members.
2. Do show the information you have received with anyone
caring for your children at your residence in your absence.
3. Do take appropriate precautions to protect your
children, based on the information provided.
4. Do discuss with your children how to act and what
to do when dealing with strangers.
the following is inappropriate and may result in court
action or prosecution being taken against you:
1. Do not share the information in this notification
flyer, or the flyer itself, with anyone who is outside
of your immediate household.
2. Do not share the information in this notification
flyer, or the flyer itself, with the media.
3. Do not post the flyer in a public location, or display
it in a place where it is visible to persons who are
not members of your household.
4. Do not attempt to harm the offender or his/her property.
Do not attempt to harass the offender or make unsolicited,
unwanted contact. If you believe the individual is a
physical threat to you or children in your care, please
contact your local police.
5. Do not take any action against the offender’s
family, household members or employer that may in any
way harm or harass a person or property.
This flyer is provided to you for
the sole purpose of giving you information that can
assist you in protecting your family. This information
may be publicly available and updated by means of the
Internet at the following site: www.njsp.org.
Click onto the NJ Sex Offender Registry icon . Law enforcement
will notify all appropriate community members, schools,
organizations, residences and businesses. If you are
not certain whether sharing the notification flier with
a particular individual or disclosing the notification
information would be appropriate under particular circumstances,
you should contact the Megan’s Law Unit in the
County Prosecutor’s Office, at for specific direction.