NJ Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
DIRECTIONS | PRESS CENTER | CONTACT US
National Guard Militia Museum of New Jersey
Unit Lineage and Honors
102nd Armor Battalion
Organized 29 May 1913 from existing units in the New Jersey National Guard as the 1st Cavalry Squadron with Headquarters at Newark

Mustered into Federal service 21 June 1916 at Sea Girt; mustered out of Federal service 21 October 1916 at Newark

Mustered into Federal service 28 July 1917 at Sea Girt; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917

Squadron (less Troops B and D) converted and redesignated 15 September 1917 as the 104th Train Headquarters and Military Police, an element of the 29th Division; Troops B and D consolidated to form Battery F, 110th Field Artillery, an element of the 29th Division

After 15 September 1917 the above units underwent changes as follows:

104th Train Headquarters and Military Police (less Company B) reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1918 as the 29th Military Police Company, an element of the 29th Division Demobilized 30 May 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey

Company B, 104th Train Headquarters and Military Police, reorganized and redesignated 29 October 1918 as Company C, First Army Military Police Battalion, and relieved from assignment to the 29th Division Reorganized and redesignated 15 March 1919 as the 216th Company, Military Police Corps Demobilized 14 July 1919 at Camp Dodge, Iowa

Battery F, 110th Field Artillery, redesignated 27 November 1917 as Battery F, 112th Field Artillery, an element of the 29th Division Demobilized 31 May 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey

Former 1st Cavalry Squadron reorganized 1919-1920 in the New Jersey National Guard; Headquarters Federally recognized 29 September 1920 at Newark

Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 1 March 1921 as the 1st Cavalry

Redesignated 17 August 1921 as the 102d Cavalry

Assigned in June 1937 to the 21st Cavalry Division

Relieved 16 November 1940 from assignment to the 21st Cavalry Division

Inducted into Federal service 6 January 1941 at home stations

2d Squadron, 102d Cavalry, reorganized and redesignated 30 November 1943 as the 117th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized (remainder of 102d Cavalry - hereafter separate lineage)

117th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized, inactivated 25 November 1945 in Germany

Reorganized and Federally recognized 20 November 1946 at West Orange

Reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1949 as the 2d Battalion, 102d Armored Cavalry

Consolidated 1 February 1968 with the 6th Battalion, 50th Armor (see ANNEX 1), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as the 102d Armor, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions

Consolidated 1 December 1971 with the 50th Armor (see ANNEX 2) and consolidated unit designated as the 102d Armor to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions and the 3d, 4th, and 5th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized 1 July 1975 to consist of the 1st, 2d, 3d, and 5th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Withdrawn 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System

Reorganized 1 September 1991 to consist of the 2d and 3d Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized 1 September 1993 to consist of the 2d and 3d Battalions, elements of the 42d Infantry Division

Reorganized 1 September 1994 to consist of the 2d Battalion, an element of the 42d Infantry Division

Annex 1
Organized and Federally recognized 13 February 1951 in the New Jersey Army National Guard as the 3d Battalion, 102d Armored Cavalry, with Headquarters at Phillipsburg

Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1954 as the 250th Tank Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1959 as the 2d Medium Tank Battalion, 53d Armor

Redesignated 15 April 1964 as the 6th Battalion, 50th Armor

Annex 2
Organized and Federally recognized 16 June 1937 from existing units in the New Jersey National Guard as the 3d Battalion, 157th Field Artillery, an element of the 44th Division, with Headquarters at Vineland

Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations

Redesignated 7 January 1941 as the 2d Battalion, 157th Field Artillery

Reorganized and redesignated 20 February 1942 as the 157th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 44th Infantry Division

Inactivated 12 November 1945 at Camp Chaffee, Arkansas, and relieved from assignment to the 44th Infantry Division

Converted and redesignated 5 July 1946 as the 114th Tank Battalion and assigned to the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized and Federally recognized 21 November 1946 with Headquarters at Vineland

Redesignated 1 March 1949 as the 114th Medium Tank Battalion

Redesignated 1 December 1952 as the 114th Tank Battalion

Consolidated 1 March 1959 with the 644th Tank Battalion (organized 15 December 1941 in the Army of the United States as the 644th Tank Destroyer Battalion), 113th Tank Battalion (see ANNEX 3), 215th Tank Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 11 April 1947 with Headquarters at Dumont), and 50th Reconnaissance Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 26 September 1946 from existing units with Headquarters at Westfield) to form the 50th Armor, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st, 2d, 3d, and 4th Medium Tank Battalions and the 5th Reconnaissance Squadron, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized 31 January 1963 to consist of the 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, and 6th Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Reorganized 1 February 1968 to consist of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division

Annex 3
Constituted 9 July 1946 in the New Jersey National Guard as the 113th Tank Battalion and assigned to the 50th Armored Division

Organized in eastern New Jersey and Federally recognized 8 April 1947 with Headquarters at Orange

(Location of Headquarters changed 31 December 1947 to Dover)

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1949 as the 113th Medium Tank Battalion

Redesignated 1 December 1952 as the 113th Tank Battalion

Campaign Participation Credit
World War I
Meuse-Argonne
Alsace 1918

World War II
Rome-Arno
Southern France
Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe

Decorations
French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered PROVENCE TO LORRAINE

Headquarters Company (Washington), 2d Battalion, additionally entitled to:

Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered EUROPEAN THEATER
Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement NJ.gov
NJ National Guard Family Programs Open Public Records Act