NJ Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
DIRECTIONS | PRESS CENTER | CONTACT US
National Guard Militia Museum of New Jersey
Historical Narratives: 117th cavalry Regiment

117th Cavalry

Shield: Per chevron enhanced azure and or, on the first two fleurs-de-lis of the

Second, in base a horse's head erased of the first.

Description: The division of the shield per chevron alludes to the assault on the

Normandy beachhead.  The two fleurs-de-lis represents service in Europe during World Wars I & II.  The horse's head is from the historic crest of the Essex Troop, one of the original troops in the regiment.

Motto: "Show'em the Way"

_______________________________________________________________

Lineage and Honors

    Organized 29 may 1913 in the New Jersey National Guard as the 1st Cavalry Squadron with Headquarters at Newark to include the following troops: Troop A (organized 3 June 1890 as Essex Troop of Light Cavalry at Newark); Troop B (Organized 24 April 1895 as the Monmouth Troop); Troop C (organized 29 may 1913 at Newark); and Troop D (organized 27 august 1914 at Plainfield). 1st Cavalry Squadron mustered into Federal service 21 June 1916 at Sea Girt for service on the Mexican border; mustered out 21 October 1916 at Newark. Mustered into Federal service 28 July 1917 at Sea Girt; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917.

  Squadron broken up 15 September 1917 and its elements reorganized and Redesignated as follows:

Squadron (less Troops B and D) as the 104th Train Headquarters and Military Police, an element of the 29th Division. Troops B and D consolidated to form Battery F, 110th Field Artillery, an element of the 29th Division.

  After 15 September 1917 the above units underwent changes as follows: 104th Train Headquarters and Military Police (less Company B) Redesignated 1 November 1918 as the 29th Military Police Company, an element of the 29th Division. Demobilized 30 may 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.

   Company B, 104th Train Headquarters and Military Police, Redesignated 29 October 1918 as Company C, First Army Military Police Battalion, and relieved from assignment to the 29th Division. Redesignated 15 march 1919 as the 216th Company, Military Police Corps. Demobilized 14 July 1919 at Camp Dodge, Iowa. Battery F, 110th Field Artillery, Redesignated 27 November 1917 as Battery F, 112th Field Artillery, an element of the 29th Division. Demobilized 31 may 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.

  1st Cavalry Squadron reorganized (to include its former elements) during 1919-1920 in the New Jersey National Guard; Headquarters Federally recognized 29 September 1920 at Newark. Reorganized and expanded 1 march 1921 to form the 1st Cavalry.

  Redesignated 17 august 1921 as the 102d Cavalry. Assigned in June 1937 to the 21st Cavalry Division. Reorganized 16 November 1940 as the 102d Cavalry (horse-mechanized) and relieved from assignment to the 21st Cavalry Division. Inducted into Federal service 6 January 1941 at Newark. Reorganized 6 April 1942 as the 102d Cavalry Mechanized. Regiment broken up 30 November 1943-2 January 1944 and its elements reorganized and Redesignated as follows:

1st Squadron on 2 January 1944 as the 102d Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized. Headquarters and Headquarters Troop on 2 January 1944 as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 102d Cavalry Group, Mechanized; 2d Squadron on 30 November 1943 as the 117th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized (hereafter separate lineages).

102d Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized inactivated 23 October 1945 at Camp Shanks, New York. 50th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron organized from Westfield elements of the wartime 102d Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized and Federal recognized 26 September 1946 with Headquarters at Westfield; concurrently assigned to the 50th Armored Division. Redesignated in 1947 as the 50th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Battalion. Reorganized and Redesignated 1 march 1959 as the 5th Reconnaissance Squadron, 50th Armor, an element of the 50th Armored Division. Reorganized and Redesignated 31 January 1963 as the 117th Cavalry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 5th Squadron, an element of the 50th Armored Division. (Troop B allotted 1 February 1968 to the New York National Guard; withdrawn 1 April 1975 from allotment to the New York National Guard; allotted to 1 July 1975 to the New Jersey National Guard). Withdrawn 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Regimental System with Headquarters at Westfield.

   Currently assigned to the 42d Infantry Division Mechanized, as the Divisional Cavalry Squadron; with Headquarters in Vineland. Troop A in Dover, Troop B in Orange, Troop C in Woodstown, and Troops D, E and F at Quonset Point, Rhode Island.

 HOME STATION:  New Jersey (less elements in Rhode Island)

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

World War I

Meuse-Argonne

Alsace 1918

World War II

Normandy (with arrowhead)

Northern France

Ardennes-Alsace

Central Europe

DECORATIONS

French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered BEACHES OF NORMANDY (102d Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized, cited for action on 6 June 1944; DA GO 43, 1950)

###

Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement NJ.gov
NJ National Guard Family Programs Open Public Records Act