Report on the New Jersey Naval Militia Joint Command (NJNMJC) to The
During the course of this study, a number of potential
operations or activities that
could be performed by the NJNMJC were identified. The original concept
of putting a
waterborne force at the disposal of TAG still exists. However, there are
a number of
land-based functions that can also be performed in support of the NJNG.
following listing of specified tasks is divided into maritime and ground
It is anticipated that waterborne functions will be performed primarily
Naval Militia. Conversely, land-based operations will be primarily handled
elements of the State Guard. Nevertheless, there is little doubt that there
substantial overlap as dictated by mission requirements. In addition, all
operations are contingent on the appropriate training certification of
personnel and the
availability of resources and equipment.
Maritime Specified Tasks
waterborne support to the state’s homeland
2. Provide specialized, trained naval personnel, and their
in time of state
emergencies, e.g. snow removal, hurricanes, floods, and etc.
3. Support Family Assistance Teams/SRP (e.g. attorneys, chaplains).
4. Provide waterborne patrol and surveillance involving critical infrastructure
5. Support waterborne surveillance requirements for the NJNG Drug Task
6. Assist the Marine Police and other Law Enforcement agencies with
7. Provide technical assistance to the maritime facets of the State’s
weapons of mass
8. Assist with environmental spill management as needed by NJDEP and
9. Support the NJ Emergency Management System with disaster relief
10. Provide support as requested to NJNG special projects.
11. Provide training for specialized maritime needs (e.g. navigation)
12. Conduct boat safety checks at the request of the Marine Police.
13. Assist the USCG with maintenance of inland waterway navigational
14. Conduct classes on boat safety and operation on public waterways.
15. Provide private boat registration checks for NJ Department of the
16. Provide maritime services and support to local and county governments.
17. Assist all governmental entities with port security matters by
who have expertise in the maritime industry. Collect open source intelligence
related to port security.
Ground Specified Tasks
1. Provide staff expertise and support to the NJDMAVA
Joint Operations Center
(JOC) by serving as shift augmenters and a trained backup force.
2. Assist at the various County Offices of Emergency Management (OEMs)
provide a resident liaison to DMAVA. This reduces the manning requirements
DMAVA, as these Guardsmen are able to function as various equipment
and or responders in lieu of staging at the County OEMs.
3. Support the NJ State Police Office of Emergency Management by
community emergency response team (CERT) qualified instructors who
completed the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) CERT
4. Provide specialized medical training, first aid instruction, and
safety awareness to
5. Certify in the FEMA incident command system (ICS) and develop
and expertise by exercising these ICS concepts at training assemblies.
6. Provide disaster relief support to Municipal, County, or State
agencies tasked with
7. Provide trained and experienced professionals to various public
to ensure their continued, and uninterrupted, service to the community
in times of
natural disasters or other emergencies.
8. Provide family assistance teams
and soldier readiness preparation (SRP)
specialized support (JAG, Chaplain) to NJ National Guard Troops which
the process to be, or have been, deployed.