Eligibility: Honorably Discharged Veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States who served in time of war or national emergency and meet the following criteria:
- Current resident of New Jersey or who was a resident at the time of entry into military service or who has been a resident of this State for at least twenty years in the aggregate.
- Served in combat theater while on active duty during wartime or National emergency.
- Must have received an Honorable Discharge (General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions).
- Those recipients whose service was recognized by the award of the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Air Medal or equivalent medal receive NJ DSM with a Silver Oak Leaf Cluster.
- Posthumous award authorized. The surviving spouse or immediate family member of any resident of the State meeting the above requirements for a medal and who was killed while on active duty or died after receiving an honorable discharge from the armed forces may apply for a posthumous awarding of the medal. Request must include copy of the veteran’s death certificate and proof of relationship as father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter, brother or sister. (Proof may be copies of birth, marriage, baptismal certificates which clearly show relationship, or notarized certificate.)
Application: Individuals applying for the award must forward a completed NJ Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Application for Award /Program form or a similar request in writing along with a copy of the service members WD Form 53 or DD Form 214 ( Separation from Active Duty) attesting to the fact that an Honorable Discharge was granted.
Note: No person shall be entitled to more than one award of the medal.
All Requests should be mailed to:
NJ Dept of Military and Veterans Affairs
PO Box 340
Trenton, NJ 08625-0340
For additional information contact:
Telephone: (609) 530-6868/7035
Fax: (609) 530-6970