Stand Down Operations
Stand Down helps the New Jersey's homeless veterans "combat" life on the streets by providing a broad range of necessities, including food, clothing, medical, legal and mental health assistance, job counseling, and referrals, but most importantly, companionship and camaraderie.
Membership is open to Veterans and volunteers over the age of 18 who are willing and able to give of their time, efforts and resources in assisting programs for homeless veterans.
1. Provide immediate short-term relief from the trauma and stress of homelessness and a safe haven for a short period;
2. Bring services and assistance into the field directly to the homeless veteran; provide access to short term services and assistance such as food and clothing;
3. Provide access to longer-term solutions such as VA and social services benefits;
4. To build strong long term interagency and volunteer community working relationships;
5. To raise local and national awareness of the plight of homeless veterans with the hope of increasing community involvement;
6. Start the healing process by returning selfrespect to a lost segment of our nation's veteran's population;
7. To encourage replication of the program in other cities across the United States.
Contact - If you are interested in volunteering for Stand Down, call 1-888-8NJ-VETS.