Veterans Status for Civil Service and Pension Plans

A pension is available to qualified veterans. To qualify, a veteran must apply for veterans status for civil service pension plans after employment and must be in active employment until the effective date of retirement. These benefits cannot be deferred. Veterans who continue in employment covered by Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS) until they are at least age 60 with 20 or more years of service credit are entitled to an annual benefit equal to onehalf of the salary on which pension contributions were made in any consecutive 12-month period which would provide the largest possible benefit to the member.

Veterans who are at least age 55 with 35 or more years of service credit are entitled to an annual allowance based on the following formula: Years of Service divided by 55, multiplied by the last 12 months salary, which yields the Maximum Annual Allowance. Veterans benefits cannot be deferred and members must meet all the requirements to qualify. Veteran members may retire on the same basis as nonveteran members if it would result in a higher benefit.

Application -
Use NJDMAVA Form 05A-02 (see page 52). Mail the claim form with a copy of your separation papers (DD Form 214) to the NJ Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Veterans Benefits Bureau, PO Box 340, Trenton, NJ 08625-0340. NJDMAVA will mail you a letter of qualification or denial.

Contact -
For information, call Veterans Benefits Bureau at 609-530-6954 or visit any state Veterans Service Office listed in Appendix A.