RISK MANAGEMENT AND SAFETY COMMITTEE
The Division of Veterans Healthcare Services (DVHS) requires each of the New Jersey Veterans Memorial Homes (VMH) to establish manuals of policies and procedures for providing services. Procedures shall permit the organization of committees, as needed, to ensure compliance with the New Jersey Standards for Licensure of Long Term Care Facilities, and with applicable Federal and New Jersey State Administrative Codes, related laws, regulatory and licensing standards.
This policy and procedure shall ensure that each VMH establishes and maintains a Risk Management and Safety Committee, as required by law and regulation.
- New Jersey Veterans Memorial Homes’ Risk Management and Safety Committee
- The New Jersey Veterans Memorial Homes shall establish a Risk Management and Safety Committee charged with addressing all facility services with respect to safety concerns within the facility. The Committee will review, among other things, evacuation plans, fire safety drills, accident and/or incident reports, the effectiveness of training pertaining to violence in the workplace, mandatory yearly in-service education programs, the quality measures and written contracts for housekeeping, pest control in the facility, a written comprehensive emergency operation plan, disaster planning and yearly evacuation drills, and mandatory safety requirements.
- Risk Management and Safety Committee:
- Committee membership is at the discretion of the Chief Executive Officers.
- Committee membership shall meet periodically or as needed.
- The Committee shall function as an advisory group, which serves as the organizational line of communication between all the Departments and Facility Administration with respect to facility services for the purpose of assessing those risks that may adversely affect the safety of those who live, work, and visit the facility, and for assuring compliance with Federal and State regulatory and licensing requirements.
- The Risk Management and Safety Committee shall monitor all aspects with respect to safety concern issues, to include the development, implementation, and periodic revision of policies and procedures guiding facility practice.
- The Risk Management and Safety Committee shall meet in accordance with applicable Federal and State rules, regulations, and standards set forth for the purpose of monitoring and overseeing safety concern practices.
Revised: July 2005
Revised: July 2007
Revised: July 2009