More More

Frequently asked questions

Answers in specific subject areas are available by clicking on the following links or you may scroll down to view all frequently asked questions:

Address changes
Driving records (abstracts)
SSN Verification Program
Insurance surcharges
License plates

Address changes
How do I change my address?
Report a new address within one week after your move. MVC provides an online service to change your address.

How many points on my driver license will suspend my driving privilege?
Your driving privileges will be suspend if you have 12 or more points on your license.

How are points deducted?
If you go one year without any points or violations, three points will be deducted from your license. See point deductions.

Can points be taken away to reduce my surcharge?

Driving records (abstracts)
How can I get a copy of my driving record?
You may get a certified copy of your driver history abstract for $15 online, by mail or in-person at local agencies offering Walk-in service or a Regional Service Center.

How can I get a duplicate or family registration?
Visit any MVC Agency. The fee for a duplicate or family registration is $5.

How do I register my vehicle?
You may register your vehicle at any MVC Agency. See registration.

How do I register a motorboat?
To register a motorboat, visit an MVC Agency with the required documents and fees. See boat registration.

Why don't I receive a registration renewal application in the mail for my leased vehicle?
Renewal applications are mailed to the owner of the vehicle. The owner of a leased vehicle is the leasing company. The renewal application is mailed directly to them approximately 60 days prior to expiration of the current registration. Your leasing company should mail you the renewal application properly stamped and signed by a company officer. Contact your leasing company if you do not receive your application.

What are the hours of operation?
Each Agency has regular hours of operation. Check hours and locations for specific information.

Can I pay by check or credit card?
For your convenience, MVC accepts American Express® card, MasterCard® card, Visa® card, checks, money orders and cash.

Insurance surcharges
I moved out-of-state. Do I still have to pay the surcharge bill?
If you move out-of-state, you still need to pay all surcharges assessed for offenses that occurred while you were a New Jersey motorist. If your driving privilege is suspended, action will be filed in court to collect any unpaid assessments.

How do I know if MVC received my surcharge payment?
To confirm receipt of your surcharge payments, call (888) 651-9999 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. weekdays.

Which date do insurance companies use to assess surcharges (the event date or the posting date)?
Insurance companies use the posting date to assess surcharges.

How do I satisfy a "failure to appear" suspension on my record?
Follow the instructions on the back of your Scheduled Order of Suspension.

Why doesn't MVC return my driver license after my suspension period is finished?
For security purposes, MVC no longer maintains paper files. When a driver license is surrendered due to suspension, a notation is made on the driver history abstract and the actual document is destroyed. Visit an Agency and pay the appropriate fee to receive your license when your license is restored.

Can I fax my court receipt, hearing request and clearance letter request to MVC?
Call (609) 292-7500 to speak to an authorized representative for assistance.

I lost my license. How can I get a new one?
You must visit any MVC Agency. Visit Lost or Stolen licenses for more information.

How do I get a Graduated Driver License (GDL)?
There is a special process for a Graduated Driver License.

How do I apply for a motorboat operator license that is required for non-tidal waters?
You must be at least 16 years old. See Motorboat license.

Does New Jersey have a work license?
No. New Jersey does not provide conditional or work licenses.

A family member is deceased. What do I do with their license, ID Card and/or renewal application?
Please send the license, ID Card and/or renewal application with a copy of the death certificate to MVC, Driver Management Correspondence Unit, P.O. Box 134, Trenton, NJ 08666-0134.

How can I get a duplicate Certificate of Ownership (title)?
If there is no lien on the vehicle, you can get a duplicate title at any MVC Agency or Regional Service Center with proof of identity, or mail required documents and fees to:

NJ Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Title Unit
P.O. Box 017
Trenton, NJ 08666-0017

See titles for more information.

What is required if I received a vehicle as a gift?
The titled owner (seller) must enter "gift" as the sale price on the New Jersey title. If the information on the title appears to be changed or altered, additional documentation may be required by the Motor Vehicle Commission. Visit the NJ Division of Taxation website for details on motor vehicle casual sales notices.

License plates
How can I get a set of replacement license plates?
You can go to any MVC Agency to get a pair of non-personalized replacements for standard issued plates. Single plates are not available.
  • You must show your current registration, complete the required form (BA-49) and pay a $6 fee for standard plates ($11 for non-personalized specialty plates). These plates will carry new numbers and letters and are accompanied with a new replacement plate registration
How do I get a set of replacement plates exactly like my old ones?
You can get a pair of identical license plates specially made if they are reflectorized for $11. "Amateur Radio Operator" plates cost $15 to replace.

Call (609) 292-6500 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. weekdays. Complete the form and mail with the required fee to:

NJ Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Plate Unit
P.O. Box 015
Trenton, NJ 08666–0015

How do I obtain a license plate or placard for a person with a medically certified permanent loss of mobility?

To apply for plates or a placard, complete the Wheelchair Symbol Plate and Placard Application [pdf] and visit your local MVC agency or mail the application to:

NJ Motor Vehicle Commission Special Plate Unit
PO Box 015
Trenton, NJ 08666-0015

A copy of the vehicle registration must be included with plate applications. Refer to the Wheelchair Symbol Plate and Placard Checklist [pdf] to avoid processing delays. There is no additional charge for wheelchair symbol plates.
Applicants without a license or non-driver identification card must prove identity by meeting the 6 Point ID Verification requirements.

Note: Wheelchair Symbol plates cannot be issued for vehicles owned by or leased to companies, organizations or groups.

Download the Wheelchair Symbol Plate and Placard Checklist [pdf] for more detailed information.

How do I obtain a license plate or placard for a person with a temporary loss of mobility?
A motorist who has temporarily lost mobility (and is medically certified) can obtain a temporary placard from their local police department for a $4 fee. It is valid for six months and may be renewed only once. See temporay parking placards.

How can I get special license plates?
See specialty plates.

I want to support my alumni on my license plates. How can I get specialty ones like these?
To get these plates, visit specialty plates.