Code 23 Overweight/Overdimensional Trailer Registration
Trailer registrations for overweight/overdimensional (known as Code 23) trailers are available at any local motor vehicle agency. You must register your trailer before applying for a permit to operate. Overdimensional and/or Overweight permits are issued by the NJ Department of Transportation (NJDOT).
Code 23 Trailer Registration Specifications/Limitations
Code 23 trailer or semitrailer registration specifications are as follows:
- Restricted to transportation of one piece (non-divisble) loads
- Weight restricted to 800 lbs. for each inch of width of tire on all wheels.
- Certificate of Liability Insurance required
- If trailer meets definition of a commercial motor vehicle found under NJAC 13:60, it will be subject to annual inspection provisions contained within the FMCSA regulations parts 393 and 396.
How to register a Code 23 Overweight/Overdimensional trailer
To apply for a special trailer registration:
- Visit any local motor vehicle agency
- Complete a registration application, available at the agency
- Provide a copy or original Certificate of Liability Insurance; description of operations must include Code 23 trailer
- Pay $209.50 registration fee
How to apply for a permit to operate a Code 23 Overweight/Overdimensional trailer
After registering your trailer, you may apply for an overdimensional and/or overweight vehicle permit. There are two permit options to apply for with a Code 23 registration. Those options are:
1. Code 23 Overdimensional Trailer Permit
This permit is to be used on the roadways of this state to move either an empty Code 23 registered trailer that exceeds the dimensional limits set forth under 39:3-84(a), OR a Code 23 overdimensional trailer with a load that does not exceed 80,000 lbs. GVW or any of the weight limitations specified under 39:3-84(b). This permit type is subject to the following conditions/limitations:
- Trailer can exceed 8 feet, but not more than 10 feet, in width
- Truck/trailer combination can exceed 55 feet, but not more than 70 feet, in overall length
- The load shall not exceed the dimensional limits of the vehicle. (no width or length overhang)
- Combined vehicle and cargo weight shall not exceed 80,000 GVW or any other weight limitations specified under 39:3-84(b).
- This permit is valid for the life of the trailer or as long as the Code 23 registration remains valid.
- This permit may be also used to cover the overdimensional permit requirements when used in conjunction with a Code 23 Special Weight/Overdimensional Route Permit, described below, when the vehicle falls within the dimensional limits specified in conditions #1 thru #3 above.
This Code 23 Overdimensional Trailer Permit is considered invalid if any of the above conditions are not met. If any of the above conditions are not met, the carrier must apply for a Code 23 Overweight/Overdimensional Route Permit, described below, for each one-way trip and pay any associated excess size fees.
2. Code 23 Overweight/Overdimensional Route Specific Permit
A Code 23 Overweight/Overdimensional Route Specific Permit is a special permit category that is used for the transport of heavy construction or road building machinery that exceeds the weight, or weight and size limits, specified under 39:3-84. As specified under 39:4-26, this permit is to be used to transport overweight and overdimensional road building machinery, construction related equipment or any apparatus/machinery of unusual size or weight along or across a public roadway. The following conditions and limitations apply:
- This permit to be used in conjunction with a Code 23 registered trailer.
- This permit type is only available for those trailers hauling heavy equipment/machinery as specified under NJSA 39:4-26.
- This permit is to be used to transport heavy machinery/equipment when the combined weight of the vehicle and/or load exceeds any of the weight limits specified under 39:3-84. No excess weight fees apply.
- This permit is also required when the following overdimensional conditions exist with
a Code 23 registered trailer:
a). When the combination vehicle exceeds the dimensional limits (10 feet in width and 70 feet in overall length) described under the Code 23 Overdimensional Trailer Permit above. Excess size fees shall apply in this case.
b) When the combination vehicle measures between 8 and 10 feet in width or 55 to 70 feet in overall length and the carrier does not possess a Code 23 Overdimensional Trailer Permit described above.
c) When the load exceeds the confines of the Code 23 registered trailer, including width and/or length overhang. Excess size fees shall apply in this case.
- These permits are valid for Non-Divisible loads only.
- These permits are route specific.
- These permits are valid for each one-way trip.
- These permits are valid for a period of 30 days.
These permits are issued by the NJ Department of Transportation (NJDOT). Please visit the NJDOT website for further information on permitting. For direct access to “SUPERLOAD”, the State’s on-line OS/OW permitting system, click here.