More More

Transfer out-of-state CDL

If you have moved to New Jersey and plan to stay here for more than 6 months, you must transfer your Commercial driver license within 60 days of becoming a resident or before your current license expires.

How to transfer your out-of-state license
  • Visit any MVC Agency offering vision tests in a driver testing center
  • Bring original medical examiner certificate form completed by a federally certified medical examiner (no more than one year old) if completed on or after May 21, 2014. Visit the federal website to locate a federally certified medical examiner near you.
  • Complete, sign and date a CDL Holder Self-Certification document
  • Purchase a $10 CDL transfer permit
  • Pass a vision test
  • HAZMAT endorsement holders must pass a written test and submit fingerprints for a background check
  • Passenger endorsement must submit fingerprints
  • Pay the CDL transfer fee and required licensing fee
For your convenience, MVC accepts American Express® card, MasterCard® card, Visa® card, checks, money orders and cash.