Transfer out-of-state CDL
If you have moved to New Jersey and plan to stay here for more than 6 months, you must transfer your Commercial driver license within 60 days of becoming a resident or before your current license expires.
How to transfer your out-of-state license
- Visit any MVC Agency offering vision tests in a driver testing center
- Bring original medical exam form completed by a physician (no more than one year old)
- Purchase a $10 CDL transfer permit
- Pass a vision test
- HAZMAT endorsement holders must pass a written test and submit fingerprints for a background check
- Passenger endorsement must submit fingerprints
- Pay the CDL transfer fee and required licensing fee
For your convenience, MVC accepts American Express® card, MasterCard® card, Visa® card, checks, money orders and cash.