More More

Frequently asked questions

Changes effective August 1, 2010: emissions check only; download FAQs [pdf]

Can I have my vehicle inspected early?
  • Vehicles may be presented for inspection up to two months in advance of the month in which they are due. For example, a vehicle due in August may be presented as early as June 1.

  • Inspection sticker
Will I be penalized if I present my
vehicle past my inspection due date?
  • Driving a vehicle with an expired inspection sticker may result in fines between $100 and $200 and/or imprisonment for up to 30 days. Additionally, the MVC may revoke registration privileges (N.J.S.A. 39:8-9).

What happens if I fail the emissions inspection?
  • The inspector will give you an Emission Repair Form for a certified emission repair technician to fill out and a Vehicle Inspection Report that will help your technician determine which part of your vehicle's system caused the emissions problem
  • If your vehicle did not pass the enhanced emissions inspection, it is producing more pollutants than the standard for its model year

When do I have to take my vehicle in for re-inspection?
  • If your vehicle fails the inspection, you will be allowed a specified amount of time to have the necessary repairs made. Please refer to your vehicle inspection report.

Where can I go for emission repairs?
  • You must have the necessary emission repairs done by a registered Emission Repair Facility (ERF)or you may make them yourself
  • Be sure to bring your Vehicle Inspection Report and Emission Repair Form for the ERF to complete
  • When your vehicle does not pass inspection, you can find an emission repair facility through our online ERF database or call (888) NJ-MOTOR

What happens once the emission repairs are finished?
  • Once the repairs are completed, you must have your vehicle re-inspected by a licensed inspector at a private or state inspection facility
  • Remember to bring all emissions-related receipts, your Emission Repair Form and the Vehicle Inspection Report with you. If you repair the vehicle yourself, you must bring the receipts for any emissions-related parts you used. A re-inspection will not be performed without these documents

Are there limits on required emission repairs?
  • Repairs for emission failures may only be performed by the motorist or a licensed Emission Repair Facility (ERF).
  • Repairs performed up to 60 days prior to the initial failure can be applied as long as they were emissions-related and performed by you or an ERF

What if I think the emission results are wrong?
  • You can request a referee inspection after you complete the first inspection if:
    • You felt the vehicle was not tested in accordance with state requirements* at a State or Private Inspection Facility.
    • Your vehicle does not pass the re-inspection portion of the test after an ERF makes necessary repairs or finds that none are necessary
  • Referee inspections are performed at one of three specialty sites:
    • Asbury Park
    • Westfield
    • Winslow
  • NOTE: Asking for a referee inspection does not extend the expiration date on your current inspection sticker
*N.J.A.C. 7:27-15.5

What is the inspection process for my lifted or high-rise personal vehicle?
  • Lifted vehicles must pass a high-rise "stability" test to verify structural integrity every two years. Stability tests are performed at Specialty Inspection Facilities in Asbury Park or Winslow. Contact one of these sites directly for an appointment. Lifted vehicles are also required to receive an emissions test. The emissions test may be performed at any inspection site

How does maintaining my vehicle's emissions system benefit me?
  • If you maintain your emissions system, you can:
    • Reduce your fuel costs from an average of 6% to 13%
    • Avoid more costly repairs
    • Extend the life of your vehicle and make it more reliable
    • Contribute to cleaner air

What is the On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test?
  • The On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test reads a computer system in your vehicle to identify engine related problems that may result in the increase of harmful pollutant emissions. By maintaining your vehicle, you can help improve New Jersey's air quality
What should extended absence motorists do before returning to New Jersey?
  • A vehicle which is not used on New Jersey highways is not subject to inspection until it is returned to New Jersey. Before returning, motorists on extended absence may request form SS-33, which should be made available to any law enforcement officer who may stop you for not having a valid inspection sticker on the windshield.

    A vehicle must be properly registered and have valid proof of New Jersey liability insurance. To request an out of state extension, please call (609) 633-9474 or (609) 633-9460.