Vehicles exempt from inspection
Certain vehicles are exempt from inspections, but they do vary, so be sure to check what is required for yours.
The following vehicles are exempt from inspection requirements (N.J.A.C. 13:20-7.2):
Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.
- Historic motor vehicles
- Approved Collector Vehicles which are less than 25 years old
- 100% Electric vehicles
- Motorized bicycles
- Farm tractors and traction equipment
- Farm machinery and implements
- Fire trucks having a GVWR of more than 8,500 pounds
- In-transit construction equipment
- All Diesel-fueled motor vehicles
with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 pounds to 17,999 that are plated commercial. The owner or lessee is required to inspected these vehicles.
All diesel powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) 8,501 to 17,999 that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
All diesel powered vehicles model year 1996 and older that are plated passenger, not for profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck except buses
Omnibuses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s Commercial Bus Inspection and Investigation Unit
School buses which are subject to inspection by the Commission‘s School Bus Inspection Unit
- Tactical military vehicles operated on Federal installations within this State
General inspections are not required for historic or collector vehicles. To be classified as a "historic vehicle" it must be:
- At least 25 years old
- Specially registered and display QQ plates
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" you need to apply when you register and make sure that the vehicle:
- Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
- Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
- Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
To qualify for an exemption:
- Visit an MVC Agency to purchase a voucher for a special decal to mark the vehicle exempt from safety and emission inspection; fee is $25 for an initial voucher and $10 to renew
- Take the collector vehicle to a State Inspection Station where the inspector will verify the odometer reading
- You must provide approval letter from the MVC I/M Support. Vehicle must be prequalified as a collector vehicle
Submit completed application to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 680
Trenton, NJ 08666-0680