More More


All residents operating a motorcycle in New Jersey must have a motorcycle endorsement on their existing driver license or a separate motorcycle license.

NOTE- applicants under age 18: Anyone under the age of 18 is required to take the Motorcycle Safety Education Program Basic Rider Course.

NOTE - applicants who operate a trike: Anyone who operates a trike must apply for a motorcycle endorsement and a restriction will be placed on the driver's license that only allows the operation of a 3-wheel motorcycle.

Add a motorcycle endorsement to your driver license

Get a motorcycle license without a driver license

Low-speed motorcycles

Basic auto license holders can operate a low-speed motorcycle without any endorsement or separate motorcycle license. Low-speed motorcycles are less than 50cc or have a 1.5 brake horsepower motor or less with a maximum speed no more than 35 miles per hour on a flat surface. Low-speed motorcycles may not be driven on any state toll road, limited-access highway or any public road with a posted speed limit greater than 35 miles per hour.

NOTE: Starting January 1, 2013, anyone who takes a road test at MVC on a bike that is 231CC or less is restricted to riding only a 500CC or less motorcycle (M endorsement or Class E motorcycle-only license with restriction). If the road test is taken on a bike that is over 231CC, there will be no restriction with the M endorsement or motorcycle-only license. Anyone who successfully completes a Motorcycle Safety Education Program (MSEP) course is exempt from this bike size requirement and will not be restricted. Riders who are restricted to a bike that is 500CC or less will have a restriction “5” noted on their license and will be required to carry an MVC-issued restriction card while operating the motorcycle.