More More

Replacing an out-of-state license

If you have recently moved to New Jersey, you must transfer your out-of-state license within 60 days of your move or before your current license expires, whichever occurs first. Your license cannot be transferred to a New Jersey license if you are under 18 years old. Instead, you must complete the Graduated Driver License (GDL) program requirements.

How to transfer your out-of-state license

To transfer your out-of-state license:
  • Visit any MVC Agency with your current driver license (Basic Auto/Motorcycle)
  • Bring proper legal documents to pass 6 point ID and Address requirements
  • Purchase a driver permit ($10)
  • Knowledge and road tests are waived as long as you have a valid, non-provisional driver license issued by any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Territories of American Samoa and Guam, Puerto Rico or The U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • You will be issued a four-year basic New Jersey license and will be required to surrender your out-of-state license.
  • If you are under 18, complete the mandatory Graduated Driver License (GDL) program requirements.