Active duty military personnel and veterans
New Jersey provides special consideration for active duty military personnel. Special privileges are also available for service-disabled or blind veterans.
If you are on active military duty, including New Jersey National Guard and Reserve, you are entitled to automatic extensions for your driver license, registration and inspection requirements.
- Your license, registration and inspection documents will remain valid for as long as you are actively serving in the US Military
- If you are demobilized, you will need to renew your expired documents within two weeks of your demobilization date
- Law enforcement officials are aware of this extension. Please carry the extension letter [pdf] along with your active duty military credentials at all times when operating a vehicle
If you enter or are an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces and have a valid New Jersey registration, you can get a refund for the remainder of the registration period.
To obtain a refund:
Service-disabled or blind veterans
- Write a letter stating the reason you are requesting a refund along with proof of service
- Complete and return a refund form (RU-9). Refund forms are also available at all MVC agencies or by calling (609) 292-6500
- Return the original registration and the New Jersey license plates along with a copy of military orders and a copy of the out-of-state registration
You may qualify for free registration if you meet the following classifications:
- Are without sight as a result of war service and eligible for compensation from the state under N.J.S.A. 38:18-1
- Currently have another service-connected disability and have qualified for a free automobile from the US Veterans Administration and:
- You have a valid New Jersey driver license or a generated driver license number
- The vehicle in question is equipped with special attachments or devices that may be necessary for its safe operation
- The vehicle is properly insured by a New Jersey licensed company
To apply for free registration, visit any MVC Agency
or call (609) 292-6500.
Mail the certified application with affixed seal or stamp of U.S. Veterans Administration to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0016
Once the free registration status has been established, all subsequent renewals can be completed by mail or at an MVC Agency