More More

Active duty military personnel and veterans

New Jersey provides special consideration for active duty military personnel. Special privileges are also available for service-disabled or blind veterans.

License extensions

If you are on active military duty and have been deployed, including New Jersey National Guard and Reserve, you and your immediate family are entitled to automatic extensions for your driver license, registration and inspection requirements.

  • Your license, registration and inspection documents will remain valid for as long as you are deployed.
  • When you are demobilized, you will need to renew your expired documents within 90 days of your demobilization or return from duty.

Law enforcement officials are aware of this extension. Please carry the Administrative Order along with your active duty military credentials at all times when operating a vehicle. See Related Links above for extension instructions to obtain the Deployed Military Administrative Order.

Registration refunds

If you enter or are an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces and have a valid New Jersey registration, you can get a refund for the remainder of the registration period.
To obtain a refund:

  • Write a letter stating the reason you are requesting a refund along with proof of service
  • Complete and return a refund form (RU-9). Refund forms are also available at all MVC agencies or by calling (609) 292-6500
  • Return the original registration and the New Jersey license plates along with a copy of military orders and a copy of the out-of-state registration

Service-disabled or blind veterans

You may qualify for free registration if you meet the following classifications:

  • Are without sight as a result of war service and eligible for compensation from the state under N.J.S.A. 38:18-1
  • Currently have another service-connected disability and have qualified for a free automobile from the US Veterans Administration and:
    • You have a valid New Jersey driver license or a generated driver license number
    • The vehicle in question is equipped with special attachments or devices that may be necessary for its safe operation
    • The vehicle is properly insured by a New Jersey licensed company
To apply for free registration, visit any MVC Agency or call (609) 292-6500.

Mail the certified application with affixed seal or stamp of U.S. Veterans Administration to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Government Unit
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0016

Once the free registration status has been established, all subsequent renewals can be completed by mail or at an MVC Agency.