MVC issues corporation codes (corpcodes) to businesses located in New Jersey. Your business will receive a 15-digit corpcode that will be required for all transactions.
Financial institutions, leasing companies or businesses located outside the state that are legally registered to conduct business in New Jersey may request a corpcode.
Before MVC can issue a corpcode, you must register your business with the New Jersey Division of Revenue
and request a Federal Tax ID Number (FEIN).
The following businesses must file organizational documents with New Jersey Commercial Recording:
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- Limited Liability Companies
- Domestic Profit and Foreign Profit
Sole proprietorships and partnerships are not required to register with Commercial Recording but must provide a Business Registration Certificate or Tax License issued by the New Jersey Division of Revenue
or proof of registration with the county clerk
where the business is located.
To get a corpcode, you must:
- Visit your local MVC Agency
- Pass 6 Point ID Verification. Company officers must provide proof of 6 Point ID Verification and proof of social security number or exemption
- Show proof of Federal Employee Identification Number (if applicable)
- Show proof that your company is legally registered to do business in New Jersey. You must present two of the following:
- Certificate of Authority
- Certificate of Formation
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Submit a letter requesting a corpcode for your business. The letter must be on official company letterhead bearing your legal company name as it appears on your tax records and your official company address. You must provide an additional address if your vehicle is not garaged at your place of business
- Submit a notarized power of attorney on your company letterhead signed by the same person requesting the corpcode.
Note: Taxi, limousine or transport companies must also provide a Certificate of License and Convenience, issued by the municipality where the business is located
Also note: Limousine businesses must also
provide a certificate of zoning approval for
their business address
Understanding the approval process
- Corpcodes will not be assigned the same day you visit an Agency. An MVC representative will contact you within five business days to tell you when you can complete the titling and registration
- Failure to complete the application or supply additional requested information will delay the review
- Only the same person will be allowed to complete the paperwork
- If titling and registration is being handled by the dealership where you purchased your vehicle, you may supply the approved corpcode directly to them. You will receive your number over the telephone, eliminating the need for a return visit to the Agency
- Corpcode will be assigned to the home office or to sites having individual federal tax ID numbers
- It is your responsibility to insure that the registration renewal applications are properly distributed to individual locations
Note: All documents must be originals or a certified copy marked with a state or municipal seal. Any documents that do not meet this requirement may result in the need for additional documentation. Any documents that appear false or deemed invalid may result in the rejection of your application.
Change of company address
Address change requests must be submitted on company letterhead within seven days and include:
- Corpcode number
- Federal Tax ID Number (FEIN).
- Former and new company address
- Telephone number
- One license plate number issued to your company
- Proof of age and identification of the company officer requesting address change
- Signature of individual with authority to sign for the company
Requests can be sent by mail, fax or e-mail
Change of company name
- Fax documentation to (609) 943-4705
- E-mail scanned copies to MVCCorpcodes@dot.state.nj.us
- Mail to NJ Motor Vehicle Commission, BLS Corpcodes, PO Box 170, Trenton, NJ 08666
For company name changes, which must be made within seven days, contact Business License Services for documentation requirements at (609) 292-6500 ext. 5003. This includes changes for:
- INC to LLP
- Non-profit to profit
- CO to INC
- Phone number
- Bank purchase of another bank
- Foreign corporations
If your company is a financial institution, leasing company or rental company, you can apply for a New Jersey corpcode if the vehicle will be garaged, titled and registered within the state.
- Follow steps 2 through 6 of the instructions above for requesting a corpcode and mail the completed form to:
NJ-MVC Business Licensing Services Bureau
PO Box 170
Trenton, NJ 08666
In New Jersey (888) 486-3339 ext. 5003
Out-of-state (609) 292-6500 ext. 5003
OR you may scan and email all documents to: MVCCorpcodes@dot.state.nj.us
- To expedite your response, please provide contact information in your request
- Include a Certification of Authority issued by the New Jersey Department of State or Treasury. A tax ID number alone is not sufficient proof that a company is authorized to conduct business in New Jersey
- If your corporate headquarters already has a corpcode, you will be required to use that number