More More

Private utilities, house semi-trailers and trailers

All private utilities, house semi-trailers and privately used trailers are included in Code 22 regulations.

To Register a Trailer that was Pre-Owned and was Not Issued a New Jersey Title

Visit any MVC Agency with all the required documentation listed below and the appropriate registration fee (code 22):

  • A pencil tracing or a printed-out photograph of the vehicle identification number (VIN#).
  • A registration application (BA-49). This can only be obtained at an MVC agency.
  • A power of attorney (POA) if applicable.  (Only needed if someone other than the purchaser is signing the documents on behalf of the purchaser.)
  • Purchaser’s actual driver's license or identification document. (Copy of purchaser’s driver’s license if POA is being used.)
  • New Jersey insurance.  (Must have in order to register the trailer.)
  • A notarized statement from the seller that must include all of the following information about the vehicle:
    • Year
    • Make
    • VIN#
    • Seller’s & buyer’s name and address
    • Date of sale
    • Price of purchase
  • The last registration card that the seller has for the vehicle showing that the vehicle was registered and owned by the seller.
  • Certificate of Ownership (form SS-7) OS/SS-7 Application for Certificate of Ownership (title) [pdf].
  • Sales tax fee. If you need assistance with calculating the tax, please call: Taxation at 609-984-6206.
  • Lien holder’s information and financing statement if applicable, OS/SS-85c Financing Statement- procedure to add a lien.
  • A trailer with no VIN may be processed so long as all the documentation listed above is provided, along with the fee.  If there is no documentation, contact the Special Title Unit at 609-292-6500 for assistance.

If the purchaser is a company or business a corporation (corp) code and a Federal Tax ID number (EIN#) are needed;

Every vehicle - including non-conventional vehicles - must contain a manufacturer's serial number. Motor vehicle agencies may only assign serial numbers for homemade trailers.

Trailer registrations expire in March
Trailer registrations are due for renewal in March. All registrations are issued with a March 31 expiration date regardless of the month of purchase.

To register a homemade trailer
To title and/or register a homemade trailer, visit your local MVC Agency with acceptable proof of identification and the following:
  • Original receipts/titles for all parts used
  • Notarized statement containing construction details, parts and material used, and date and location where parts were purchased. If parts were taken from another trailer/vehicle, you must list the VIN’s of the vehicles it was taken from.
  • A certified weight slip
  • Color photographs showing all angles of trailer
  • If trailer weighs more than 2,500 lbs. (unladen), it must be titled; therefore, OS/SS-32 form must be completed.
  • If trailer weighs 2,500 lbs. or less (unladen), it must only be registered; therefore,
    BA-49 form must be completed at the MVC Agency.
  • Pay registration fee (Code 22) and title fee, if applicable
The law limits vehicles of this type to the following dimensions:
  • Width: 96 inches
  • Height: 13 feet, 6 inches
  • Length (single vehicle): 35 feet
  • Length ( semi-trailer and towing vehicle): 48 feet
  • Length ( trailer and towing vehicle): 58 feet

When figuring any dimension, safety equipment items (such as mirrors or lights) are not included if they do not exceed the overall limitations.

If the GVWR (including load) is more than 3,000 lbs. or 40% of the towing vehicle's gross weight, the trailer must be equipped with brakes.