More More

Surrendering plates not in use

If you have New Jersey plates that are not in use you must surrender them to MVC for cancellation.

License plates from other states must be returned to the state that issued the plates. MVC does not accept out-of-state plates.

To surrender plates
  • Visit any MVC Agency or Regional Service Center
  • Send by mail*:
    Motor Vehicle Commission
    P.O. Box 129
    Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0129
    *include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for receipt

  • To report plates lost or stolen
  • Effective July 31, 2006, license plates can no longer be surrendered at Inspection Stations
You will receive a receipt once you surrender your plates that you will need to save. This will serve as proof that they were surrendered in the event that charges are wrongfully acquired on them. See tickets on plates that are no longer yours for more information.