More More

Temporary Non-Resident Registration

If you are not a resident of New Jersey and

  • you purchase a vehicle in New Jersey and
  • you plan to transport and register it in your home state you must get a temporary NJ registration in order to drive the vehicle while in NJ as well as to transfer the vehicle out of New Jersey state lines.

Visit any MVC agency to obtain and complete an application for temporary non-resident registration of your vehicle (Form BA-49).

You will also need to bring with you all the following:

  • an original NJ Certificate of Title assigned to you and reflecting your out-of-state address
  • proof of your out-of-state address
  • proof of insurance for the vehicle
  • $5.00 fee for the temporary non-resident registration 

You will be issued a 20-day temporary non-resident registration that cannot be renewed.

Temporary registrations are only valid for use in the continental United States.