How to get a vehicle title
How to get a title for a new vehicle
Typically, if you purchase a vehicle from a New Jersey dealer, it will be titled as part of the sales process. If you did not get a title from a dealer, you must title your vehicle within 10 days of purchase or face a penalty fee.
- Titles may be acquired at any MVC agency. The vehicle owner must appear in person
- You must show Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) displaying the sales tax-satisfied stamp. You need to pay sales tax on the actual vehicle price. Certain vehicles are exempt from sales tax
- If the vehicle is financed, you must provide the address and corpcode of the lien holder. The original title will be sent to the lien holder
- 2009 model year and later passenger vehicles or light duty trucks weighing less than 8,500 lbs. are required to meet California Low Emission Vehicle Program standards
How to get a title when NJ Dealer goes out of business
Last updated: December 11, 2009
Follow these instructions if you purchased a vehicle from a New Jersey car dealer that went out of business:
- Gather all required documents; download forms and instructions [pdf]
- Make photocopies for your records
- Mail all original documents (unless noted):
NJ Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 017
225 E. State Street
Trenton, NJ 08666-0017
ATTN: Special Titles/Dealer Out of Business
- To lodge a formal complaint, contact the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs. MVC must be notified separately for assistance obtaining a title.
: Each case is unique and handled on an individual basis. Additional documents may be requested. If you have any questions, please
call (609) 292-6500 ext.5064 prior to submitting your documents.
- American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, check, money order or cash
- $60 for a standard vehicle
- $85 for a financed vehicle with one lien
- $110 for a financed vehicle with two liens
Used vehicles (Pre-owned)
You must also provide the former title with the assignment section on the back completed and signed by the previous owner. If you make a mistake on the title, check with MVC to see if it is still acceptable.
Transferring vehicle ownership
Titles for New Jersey residents temporarily out-of-state
If you are a New Jersey resident and purchased your vehicle out-of-state, you will need to follow a special procedure [119k pdf].