More More

How to get a vehicle title

How to get a title for a new vehicle

Typically, if you purchase a vehicle from a New Jersey dealer, it will be titled as part of the sales process. If you did not get a title from a dealer, you must title your vehicle within 10 days of purchase or face a penalty fee.

  • Titles may be acquired at any MVC agency. The vehicle owner must appear in person
  • You must show Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) displaying the sales tax-satisfied stamp. You need to pay sales tax on the actual vehicle price. Certain vehicles are exempt from sales tax
  • If the vehicle is financed, you must provide the address and corpcode of the lien holder. The original title will be sent to the lien holder
  • 2009 model year and later passenger vehicles or light duty trucks weighing less than 8,500 lbs. are required to meet California Low Emission Vehicle Program standards

How to get a title when NJ Dealer goes out of business
Last updated: December 11, 2009

Follow these instructions if you purchased a vehicle from a New Jersey car dealer that went out of business:
  • Gather all required documents; download forms and instructions [pdf]
  • Make photocopies for your records
  • Mail all original documents (unless noted):
    NJ Motor Vehicle Commission
    P.O. Box 017
    225 E. State Street
    Trenton, NJ 08666-0017
    ATTN: Special Titles/Dealer Out of Business
  • To lodge a formal complaint, contact the NJ Division of Consumer Affairs. MVC must be notified separately for assistance obtaining a title.
Note: Each case is unique and handled on an individual basis. Additional documents may be requested. If you have any questions, please call (609) 292-6500 ext.5064 prior to submitting your documents.

Title fees

Fee payment:
  • American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, check, money order or cash
    • $60 for a standard vehicle
    • $85 for a financed vehicle with one lien
    • $110 for a financed vehicle with two liens

Used vehicles (Pre-owned)
You must also provide the former title with the assignment section on the back completed and signed by the previous owner. If you make a mistake on the title, check with MVC to see if it is still acceptable.

Transferring vehicle ownership

Titles for New Jersey residents temporarily out-of-state
If you are a New Jersey resident and purchased your vehicle out-of-state, you will need to follow a special procedure [119k pdf].