NJ MVC - Logo
Moving to New Jersey
Your License
Your VehicleTraffic RulesChecklist
Your LicenseID VerificationGDLForiegn Licenses

If you have recently moved to New Jersey, you must transfer your out-of-state license within 60 days of your move or before your current license expires, whichever occurs first.

To transfer your out-of-state license
  1. Visit any MVC Agency with your current driver license (Basic Auto/Motorcycle) and the proper legal documents to pass the 6 point ID requirements
  2. Purchase a driver permit ($10)
  3. Knowledge and road tests are waived as long as you have a valid, non-provisional driver license issued by any of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the U.S. Territories of American Samoa and Guam, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  4. You will be issued a four-year basic New Jersey license and will be required to surrender your out-of-state license

If you are under 18, complete the mandatory Graduated Driver License (GDL) program requirements.

Commercial licenses (CDL)
To transfer your out-of-state CDL from any of the 50 states or the District of Columbia

  1. Visit any MVC Agency offering vision tests in a driver testing center
  2. Bring original medical exam form completed by a physician (no more than one year old)
  3. Purchase a CDL transfer permit*
  4. Pass a vision test
  5. HAZMAT endorsement holders must pass a written test and submit fingerprints for a background check
* The permit fee is $10 and must be paid at the Agency in addition to the standardized Commercial license fees


   Learn More