More More

Parking violations

MVC does not issue parking tickets nor collect payments on them. All tickets are processed through the New Jersey municipal courts.

How to pay parking tickets
  • Follow the directions on the back of the ticket
  • It is usually possible to pay online, by mail or in person at the court
  • If you have lost your parking ticket, please contact the municipal court where your ticket was issued

Tickets on plates that are no longer yours

If you receive a parking ticket on plates that are no longer yours, you need to bring proof that the plate is not yours to the scheduled court date. MVC can provide you with supporting documentation if you follow these steps:
  • Get a copy of the original ticket (not the summons) from the municipality that issued it
  • Write a letter to MVC explaining that the plates are no longer yours
  • Include your former plate numbers, your new plate numbers and your driver license number
  • If you surrendered the old plates and kept the receipt, please provide a copy of that receipt
  • Send the letter, a copy of the ticket and the summons to:

    Motor Vehicle Commission
    Customer Advocacy Office
    P.O. Box 403
    Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0403

  • MVC will complete a search for the plate number and send you a letter with the results