The MVC issues licenses that authorize driving schools and instructors to operate within the state of New Jersey. They also allow driving school owners and specified instructors or agents to purchase student learner's permits, examination permits, schedule road tests and administer state-approved knowledge and vision tests.
How to get a driving school license
- The application can be downloaded, completed and mailed to:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Business Licensing Services Bureau
Driving School Unit
P.O. Box 170
225 East State Street
Trenton, NJ 08666-0170
- Make sure all instructors and agents are listed on the fingerprint request notification form.
- Comply with any additional requirements.
- The fee for an initial license is $250. The annual license renewal fee is $200.
- Each driving school license expires annually in December.
Requirements for driving school licensing
- It must have a separate office location or a home office separated from the living quarters with its own entrance.
- It cannot be located near or give the appearance of being officially associated with the MVC.
- You will not be issued a license if the driving school's place of business is conducted from a liquor store, bar, grocery store, restaurant, tent, temporary stand, temporary address or through the exclusive facilities of a telephone answering service.
- There must be a qualified supervising instructor who has been licensed for at least two years and has completed at least 500 hours of behind the wheel instruction in addition to a three-credit college course from a state-accredited college or university.
- A $10,000 Surety Bond payable to New Jersey MVC, issued by a state-authorized surety business.
- The school must get zoning approval from the town where the office is located, ensuring that the facility meets all state and local zoning ordinances; building, fire and health codes; and any other applicable ordinances and codes.
- Proof of workers' compensation for all employees.
You must provide a sample of the following forms for pre-approval:
- Expense receipts
- Advertisements (including telephone directory)
- Statement of service
- Proposed service agreement for pre-approval by MVC
The driving school must provide evidence of insurance coverage by submitting the original certificate of insurance issued by a company recognized within the state that reflects the following:
- For bodily injury to or death of any one person in any one accident: $250,000.
- For bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in any one accident: $500,000.
- Damage to or destruction of property of others in any one accident: $50,000.
Driving school vehicle regulations
Vehicles that will be used for instruction in the driving school must meet the following requirements:
- Equipped with dual controls of the foot brake and clutch (if applicable) and seat belts for both student and instructor. The vehicle must also conspicuously display a sign stating "Student Driver" visible in the front and rear.
- It must have a clean interior and be equipped with an operable heater, defroster and air conditioner with properly operating seats and seat adjustments.
- It must be registered in the name of the driving school. If it is leased, you must provide a copy of the lease agreement specifying the driving school as the lessee.
Driving school student requirements
The students must meet the following requirements before the driving school instructors proceed with the lessons:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Have passed a vision test and provide documentation from a school nurse, MVC representative, owner of a driving school or qualified supervising instructor.
- Have passed the knowledge test – provide a signed certificate that reflects a passing grade of 80% or better, signed by an MVC representative, qualified supervising instructor of a driving school or a licensed secondary school instructor.
- All businesses, employee and student records must be maintained at the principal place of business of the driving school for a period of three years, during which they shall be subject to inspection by the MVC.
Statement of services
All driving schools must present a statement to their students with the following information:
- Description of services to be rendered
- Fees to be charged
- Information of a service agreement
The driving school has to comply with all conditions set forth in the sample service agreement. Service agreements must provide all information contained in the state-provided sample service agreement.
- N.J.A.C. 13:23–2.12 sets forth specific standards for the denial, suspension or revocation of a driving school license if these standards are not met.
- The driving school cannot not employ any person as an instructor or agent who has been convicted of any offenses enumerated in N.J.A.C. 13:23–2.12 unless the Chief Administrator has determined that such person may serve in such capacity.
- Failure to maintain insurance coverage will be cause for immediate suspension of the driving school license.
Driving School Supplies
- All licensed driving schools must submit their supply orders by completing this form. Please email or fax it to the Business Licensing Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.