New Jersey’s Lemon Law protects consumers who purchase vehicles that develop repeat defects or lengthy unusable periods during the first two years or 18,000 miles. The state Division of Consumer Affairs considers complaints. Lemon Law details and complaint forms are available online.
To have Lemon marked on a title
To have “Lemon” marked on a vehicle title, approval must first be granted by the NJ Department of Law & Public Safety, Lemon Law Unit, 124 Halsey Street, PO Box 45026, Newark, NJ, 07101.
When approval is granted, Lemon titles can be issued at motor vehicle agencies in:
- North Bergen
Visit the agency with:
- Original title assigned to manufacturer
- Original letter on manufacturer letterhead requesting the title be branded as “Lemon”. Letter must be signed, dated and include year, make, model and VIN
- $60 fee; $85 fee for financed vehicles
- Liens must be released, if applicable
- Power of Attorney for agent signing on behalf of manufacturer
- For out of state vehicles, complete an Application for Certificate of Ownership (Form OS/SS-7)