A heavy duty vehicle endorsement is required for all licensed auto body repair facilities repairing vehicles weighing 14,000 pounds (GVWR) or more. The license endorsement is issued as a separate document bearing a different number from the auto body repair license. Both license and endorsement must be displayed in a conspicuous area.
How to get a heavy duty vehicle endorsement
Download a heavy duty vehicle endorsement application [pdf].
Mail completed forms to:
Motor Vehicle Commission
Business Licensing Services Bureau
PO Box 172
Trenton, NJ 08666-0172
When your application is approved, an MVC Investigator will contact you to arrange for a site inspection.
Requirements for a heavy duty vehicle endorsement
To be eligible for an endorsement, you must have a valid auto body repair license in an established place of business with local municipal approval and meet the following requirements:
- Sufficient square footage to completely enclose the type of vehicle being repaired. The facility’s interior ceiling and vehicle access doors must be of sufficient height to accommodate the type of heavy duty vehicle being repaired.
- Sign clearly displaying endorsement number
- Medium and heavy duty vehicle reference source for estimating the cost of repairs: books or computerized
- Refinishing area of sufficient size to accommodate the heavy duty vehicle as a complete project or accommodate the damaged component as a separate piece
- Frame machine or pull tower with a capacity of at least 30 tons from at least (2) two points of contact and measuring devices suitable to measure structural dimensions appropriate to the vehicle being repaired
- Alignment equipment suitable for vehicles weighing 14,000 pounds or greater
- Repair facility may sub-contract the services of frame straightening, front end alignments and painting to a licensed New Jersey auto body repair facility that meets the requirements set forth in N.J.S.A. 39:13-1, et seq., and N.J.A.C. 13:21-21.1, et seq.
- Any repair facility whose coating rate exceeds the applicability threshold of (½) half gallon in any one hour or the heating device equals or exceeds 1 million BTU’s must submit all required Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) permit(s) and certificate(s)
Submit an application
Each application request must include:
- Municipal approval for the heavy duty endorsement
- Fee payment; two separate checks/money orders
- $350 endorsement fee (2 year)
- $20 application fee (non-refundable)
- Copy of current New Jersey Uniform Fire Code Certificate of Inspection for the building and spray booth
- Copy of hazardous waste disposal system or contract
- Copy of stack permit
- Photos of the facility’s exterior physical structure showing access door(s), interior repair area, spray area and equipment.
- Copy of driver license for at least one person holding a CDL for the vehicle class being repaired
- Garage keeper’s liability insurance in the minimum amount of $300,000.
If you need additional information, contact Business Licensing Services toll-free in NJ at at (888) 486-3339 ext. 5014, (609) 292-6500 ext. 5014 or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.