Private Investigation Companies and Insurance Companies who wish to obtain motor vehicle records solely for the purposes set forth under N.J.S.A. 39:2-3.4 c (6) may apply to this program for the purposes of requesting vehicle ownership and insurance information for a specific individual and date.
To apply for participation in the program, you must meet the following qualifications and requirements:
If you are a private investigation company
- Be licensed by a U.S. jurisdiction to conduct private investigations.
- Have a valid federal tax identification number.
- Have a current agreement from one or more insurance companies to perform motor vehicle claim investigations.
If you are an insurance company
- Be an insurance company selling motor vehicle policies directly to motor vehicle owners.
The application process:
- The applicant must complete an application form.
- For private investigation companies: The form must be accompanied by:
- A copy of the applicant’s valid private investigation license.
- A letter on company letterhead or a copy of an agreement showing that the applicant has been retained to conduct motor vehicle claims investigations.
- A list of all employees (that must include a copy of each driver license) who will be authorized to request motor vehicle records under this program.
- For insurance companies: The form must be accompanied by a list of all employees (that must include a copy of each driver license) who will be authorized to request motor vehicle records under this program.
- Upon approval of the application, the applicant will be required to sign a memorandum of agreement.
Reasons for Application Denial
- An applicant who has had the ability to obtain records from the State of New Jersey or any other jurisdiction or federal district revoked may be denied access to this program.
- An applicant whose parent company or subsidiary company has had its ability to obtain records from the State of New Jersey or any other jurisdiction or federal district revoked may be denied access to this program.
- An applicant whose owner(s), principals(s) or officer(s) have been convicted of fraud arising from misuse or improper release of personal information as defined by N.J.S.A. 2-3.3, may be denied access to this program.
- An applicant who submits false information or documentation when applying to the program may be denied access to this program.
The Record Request Process
- Requests for information are submitted using this form.
- The fee for each request is $15 per search. Since the number of searches will vary for each request, the approved program participant will be contacted and informed of the total amount due once the search(es) have been conducted.
- The requestor can submit a request using any one of the following along with a specific date:
- Name, address and date of birth
- NJ driver license number
- NJ vehicle plate number