While a child is in your home, you will receive a monthly board payment starting at $716 (according to the child's age and level of care), a clothing allowance and health care coverage for the child. In addition, you may be eligible for one or more of the following supportive services:
- Child care services while attending foster parent training or working
- Reimbursement for special transportation needs
- Infant care, car seats and/or bicycle helmets
- Flex funds to meet a child’s special needs (tutoring, camps, special activities, etc.)
Organizations such as Foster and Adoptive Family Services (FAFS) and their local county branches also can provide encouragement and assistance.
All of the children featured on our web site have special needs. Adoption subsidy benefits are available to help their adoptive parent by providing:
- A regular monthly payment including clothing allowance to help parents meet everyday need.
- A one-time payment that covers the legal fees related to adoption.
- Medicaid coverage for the child to assist with any physical or psychological condition that is not covered by the family's own insurance.
- Children with handicaps may be able to receive special services for a specific medical, health or equipment need, which may be approved on a case-by-case basis.
- Out-of-state medical coverage (for most states).
- A Federal Tax Credit the year the adoption takes place.
Preschool child care services may be available for subsidy eligible children whose adoptions were finalized after January 1, 2005. Child care services are funded by the Department of Human Services, Division of Family Development (while funds are available), for adoptive parents who work or attend school full-time
Parents receive the full subsidy until the child turns 18 or until the child completes high school or other equivalent program, whichever is later. Such payments may not exceed the cost of providing comparable assistance in foster care. After the child turns 21, other state services may be available.
Download New Jersey's Subsidized Adoption Program brochure - English / Spanish