If you are willing and able to adopt a child with special needs, but feel you may not be able to afford the total cost of raising a child, the New Jersey Subsidized Adoption Program can help. About 98% of children adopted through Child Protection and Permanency (CP&P) receive adoption subsidy.
Subsidies can help adoptive families by providing:
- A regular monthly payment including clothing allowance to help parents meet everyday needs.
- A one-time payment that covers the legal fees related to adoption.
- Medicaid coverage for the child to assist with any physical or psychological condition that is not covered by the family's own insurance.
- Children with disabilities may be able to receive special services for a specific medical, health, or equipment need, which may be approved on a case-by-case basis.
- Out-of-state medical coverage (for most states).
- Post-Adoption Counseling Support services are available to adoptive families.