Click here for the National Hurricane Center’s site on Hurricane Basics: What are Hurricanes, Tropical Storms and Tropical Depressions? How do they start? How does the National Weather Service categorize them and give them names?
Click here for a Glossary of Hurricane and Tropical Storm Terms.
Click here for an Archive of Previous Hurricane Activity in New Jersey.
Click here for the National Hurricane Center’s Archive of All Previous Hurricane Seasons from the National Hurricane Center.
More NJOEM and Preparedness Links
Search for “EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT COLLECTION” at the New Jersey State Library’s Website. These materials are available for New Jersey citizens, and to emergency managers, government officials, emergency responders, teachers, engineers and corporate emergency officials in New Jersey who need to prepare or respond to any emergency situation. Materials include handbooks, videos, reports or software. Here is a list.
Links: Preparing for Storm-Related Disasters
- “Are You Ready for a Hurricane?” in English and Spanish
- “What to do After a Hurricane is Over”
- “Are You Ready for a Severe Thunderstorm?” in English and Spanish
- “Are You Ready for a Flood or Flash Flood?” in English and Spanish
- “Are You Ready for a Tornado?” in English and Spanish
- “Keeping Ahead of the Storm,” an 8-minute video developed by The Weather Channel and the American Red Cross for Project Safeside. Gives preparedness tips for tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, heat waves, and lightning. Local Red Cross chapters can order as stock number A5050 for a nominal fee. Click here for a directory of Red Cross chapters.
- "Jason and Robin's Awesome Hurricane Adventure" workbook (ARC 5044) and video (ARC 5044V) designed for children in grades 4-6. Click here for a directory of Red Cross chapters.
- Main page. Information on disaster-friendly building techniques to help families become better prepared for floods, hurricanes, wildfires and windstorms.