Plan & Prepare
Resources for the Emergency Managers, Emergency Responders and Public Officials
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Interim Emergency Management Planning Guide for Special Needs Populations -
- Federal Emergency Management Agency Guidance on Planning for Integration of Functional Needs Support Services in General Population Shelters
- Federal Disability Preparedness Resource Center - http://www.disabilitypreparedness.gov/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Administration on Developmental Disabilities Emergency Preparedness Page -
- http://www.access-board.gov/evac.htm - United States Access Board Resources on Emergency Evacuation and Preparedness
- Conducting Community Assessments U.S. Center for Disease Control Public Health Workbook to Define, Locate and Reach Special, Vulnerable, and At-Risk Populations in an Emergency -
- Specialized Sheltering Template [pdf] -
A critical consideration when addressing evacuation planning for persons with special and functional needs is the importance of identifying, locating, inventorying, and assessing physical site
locations that are ideally suited to serve as specialized shelters during times of crisis. This guidance differentiates specialized shelters from general population shelters and offers a baseline set
of processes and procedures that will aid in the identification of resources - including physical assets and staffing - and provides the necessary guidance and direction in establishing and operating
specialized shelters. It provides the minimal and optimal criteria for a specialized shelter and serves as an operational checklist for compliancy.
- National Organization on Disability Guide for Emergency Managers, Planners & Responders: 2009 Revised Edition
U.S. Department of Justice Guidebook - "Making Community Emergency Preparedness and Response Programs Accessible to People with Disabilities"
Interagency Coordinating Council on Emergency Preparedness and Individuals with Disabilities Web Page
June Issacson Kailes, Disability Policy Consultant - "Disaster Resources for People with Disabilities and Emergency Managers" page
- State of New Mexico - "Tips for First Responders"
- National Council on Disability policy papers, best practices, research, evaluation on disabilities, homeland security and emergency preparedness -
- FEMA - Preparing and and Planning for Individuals with Special Needs
- Accommodating People With Disabilities In Disasters: A Reference Guide To Federal Law
- ADA Best Practices ToolKit for State and Local Governments
- National Resource Center on Advancing Emergency Preparedness for Culturally Diverse Communities
State of California Office of Emergency Services "Meeting the Needs of Vulnerable People in Times of Disaster: A Guide for Emergency Managers"
Connecticut Developmental Disabilities Network "A Guide for Including People with Disabilities in Disaster Preparedness Planning"
- State of Delaware: Individuals with Non-Typical Functional Needs Preparedness -
University of Kansas - "Nobody Left Behind - Disaster Preparedness for Persons with Mobility Impairments
- Autism Research Institute -
Disaster Preparedness for People on the Autism Spectrum and their Supporters
- Parents of Autistic Children (POAC) Law Enforcement Page - http://www.poac.net/download/index.asp
- United States Access Board: Resources on Emergency Evacuation and Disaster Preparedness
Job Accommodation Network - Employer's Guide to Including Employees with Disabilities in Emergency Evacuation Plans
Interagency Coordinating Council on Emergency Preparedness and Individuals with Disabilities Disability Preparedness Resource Center
- Trans-Atlantic Renal Council (NJ) Disaster Preparedness Page
- Community Emergency Preparedness Information Network - focus on persons on are Deaf and/or hard of hearing
- United States National Library of Medicine Special Populations: Emergency and Disaster Preparedness -
- Institute for Business and Home Safety Special Newsletter ssue on Vulnerable Populations -
- U.S. Center for Disease Control White Paper on Disasters Impact on Older Adults -
- Northeast Texas Public Health District compilation of 18 Emergency Preparedness Topics formatted to be friendly to
deaf, blind, and limited sight populations. - http://www.accessibleemergencyinfo.com/
- Evacuating Individuals with Special Needs Good Practices in Transportation Preparedness Evacuation and Response U.S. Federal Highway Administration -
- Wisconsin Board for People with Development Disabilities - Disaster Resource Website -
- American National Standards Institute Final Workshop Report Emergency Preparedness for Persons with Disabilities and Special Needs -
- Tools for Emergency Planning U.S. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - http://www.ahrq.gov/prep/
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials "At-Risk Populations Project" -
- Rand Corporation - "Enchancing Public Health Emergency Preparedness for SN Populations - A Toolkit for State and Local Planning and Response"
- AARP We Can Do Better: Lessons Learned for Protecting Older Persons in Disasters
U.S. Administrator on Aging - Disaster Preparedness Manual for the Aging Network
- Disaster Preparedness for Seniors by Seniors -