If someone you know is elderly or dependent on life-sustaining or health-related equipment such as a ventilator, respirator or oxygen concentrator, make plans NOW to ensure their needs are met during severe winter weather and possible power outages.
- Help them stock an Emergency Kit-pdf including a flashlight and extra batteries, a battery-operated radio, bottled water, non-perishable foods, essential medicines and extra blankets or sleeping bags.
- Check on them after a storm or power outage.
- Register them as a special needs customer with their utility, so they will become a priority customer during blackouts and emergencies.
- Register them as a special needs individual with your local Office of Emergency Management and Police Department.
- Notify others who could help such as neighbors, relatives and nearby friends.
- Have a list of emergency numbers readily available.
- Have a standby generator or an alternate source of power available. ALWAYS be aware of the safety rules for its use.