Maritime Security Initiative Indicators
The purpose of this program is to empower the private and corporate waterfront communities with the knowledge and ability to assist law enforcement. Anyone can assist by identifying observed criminal or terrorist behaviors, and alerting law enforcement.
Some Indicators of
Possible Terrorist or Criminal Behavior:
- Suspicious activity around any
waterfront facility and/or loitering without any apparent
reason to be there,
- Obvious efforts to avoid contact
with others or to draw attention to themselves.
- Evasive answers to common boating
- Inappropriate, suspicious, or
non-typical equipment or lack of proper equipment.
- Dangerous cargo observed in
- Diving operations near bridges or
pipes, at unusual times or without usual support people,
- Placing of unusual objects into the
waterways near bridges or pipes,
- Vessels that appear to be out of
their normal locations. Hunters or fishermen in non-typical
- Any suspicious charter or rental.
Someone asking to alter the usual route or trip a charter
- Non-typical requests; asking
inappropriate questions and/or directions to non-tourist
- Inappropriate cash payments for
large amounts, daily extension of dockage.
to report tips or
information about suspicious activity
or behavior you
think may be related to terrorism.
an emergency, call 911 or your local police.
Contact your Regional NJSP Marine Station
New Jersey State Police
Marine Services Bureau
P.O. Box 7068
West Trenton, New Jersey 08628-0068
Phone (609) 882-2000 exts. 6170, 6173, 6181
Your suspicions must be based solely upon
and conduct of the person, and not upon the
race, ethnicity, or national origin.
Back | Top