Internet Guidelines for Teenagers
- Never give out your personal information, your real name,
address, or phone number, or any personal information about
your family or friends without their permission.
- Be careful in chat rooms. Don't get involved in fights
or use obscene language. You could be reported and have
your internet service suspended or cancelled.
- If you are in a chat room and someone makes you feel
uncomfortable, attempts to start a fight with you, or uses
offensive language, leave the room.
- Ignore obscene or offensive messages. Replying may cause
the sender to continue to send such messages.
- Be careful in joining mailing lists, some may make your
personal information public. Don't provide an address or
phone number. The information for which you are signing
up is sent to the e-mail address you provide, so they don't
need your address or phone number.
- Beware of offers for free items, get rich quick, or weight
loss offers. They may be a scam.
- Beware of e-mail from people you don't know or e-mail
you weren't expecting. It may contain a virus designed to
damage your computer or send your account name and password
back to the sender.
- Never send your picture to someone you don't know or
trust. Remember, the internet allows people to become anyone
they want to be, and they may be someone you don't really
want to know.