Adopted Amendment: N.J.A.C. 13:32-1.4
Proposed: September 8, 2009 at 41 N.J.R. 3198(a).
Filed: August 24, 2010 as R.2010 d.199, with substantive and technical changes not requiring additional public notice and comment (see N.J.A.C. 1:30-6.3).
Authority: N.J.S.A. 45:14C-7.
Effective Date: September 20, 2010.
Federal Standards Statement
A Federal standards analysis is not required because there are no Federal laws or standards applicable to the adopted amendments to N.J.A.C. 13:32-1.4.
Full text of the adoption follows (additions to proposal indicated in boldface with asterisks *thus* ; deletions from proposal indicated in brackets with asterisks *[thus]*):
( Agency Note: The text of N.J.A.C. 13:32-1.4 below reflects the adoption of new N.J.A.C. 13:32-1.4(i), effective November 16, 2009.)
SUBCHAPTER 1. PURPOSE AND SCOPE, BOARD MEETINGS
13:32-1.4 Scope of practice
(a)-(b) (No change.)
(c) For purposes of this section, the following shall also be considered within the scope of the practice of plumbing and shall only be performed by individuals designated in (b) above:
1.-2. (No change.)
3. Installation, extension, alteration, repair, maintenance and removal of water service piping or water distribution piping, approved backflow prevention devices and assemblies *,* including *:* *[fire]*
*i. Fire* protection and suppression systems *[(which]* *that are connected to plumbing systems (the performance of such work* also require *s* certification from the Division of Fire Safety in the Department of Community Affairs pursuant to N.J.A.C. 5:74-2.2)*[, irrigation]* *;*
*ii. Irrigation* systems*[, mechanical]* *;*
*iii. Mechanical* equipment *;* or *[any]*
*iv. Any* cross connection between the potable water supply and any potential pollutant, contaminant or hazardous substance;
4.-5. (No change.)
6. Installation, extension, alteration, repair, maintenance, testing and removal of all direct and indirect drain piping associated with or connected to mechanical equipment that discharges to a sewer system;
*[7. Installation, extension, alteration, repair, maintenance, testing and removal of water filtration or water softening equipment, water heaters, water storage tanks not regulated under N.J.A.C. 7:9D, humidifiers, dishwashers, ice making equipment, backflow preventers, culinary equipment, food processing or dispensing equipment;
8. Installation, extension, alteration, repair, maintenance, testing and removal of water piping on the building side of a well water compression tank regulated under N.J.A.C. 7:9D;]*
*7. Installation or disconnection of water filtration or water softening equipment, water heaters, humidifiers, ice making equipment or backflow preventers;
8. Installation of water piping on the house side of a well water compression tank;*
9. Installation, extension, alteration, repair, maintenance, testing and removal of storm, sanitary and water piping between buildings or structures on a property; and
10. Installation and service of closed loop, non-potable water systems *, not including geothermal heating and cooling systems or fire protection and suppression systems that are not connected to plumbing systems* .
(d) (No change.)
(e) For purposes of this section, the following may be performed by both licensed master plumbers and individuals who are not licensed master plumbers:
1.-2. (No change.)
3. The installation, service and maintenance of *[fire suppression systems regulated under N.J.A.C. 5:74,]* irrigation systems and hydronic and solar systems piping regulated under N.J.S.A. 45:16A-1 et seq., downstream from an approved backflow prevention device or assembly;
4.-5. (No change.)
6. The installation and service of transmission piping by water or sewer utilities;
7. The installation, maintenance and repair of water piping to mechanical equipment downstream from an approved backflow prevention device or assembly; and
8. The testing of backflow prevention devices and assemblies by individuals certified by an entity regulated under N.J.A.C. 7:10-10.8.
(f)-(i) (No change.)
*[(i)]* *(j)* Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 45:16A-27, a licensed master plumber may, without obtaining a license as a master heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration contractor, engage in:
1. The installation, maintenance and repair of power boiler systems, hot water and steam heating systems, fire tube and water tube boilers, pressure steam and hot water boilers, space heaters, unit heaters and appurtenances utilizing electricity, fossil fuel or solar energy;
2. The installation, maintenance and repair of steam, hot water and chilled water pipe, condensate piping, valves, fittings, burners and piping, expansion tanks, pumps and gauges on the load side of a meter;
3. The installation, maintenance and repair of thermostatic controls;
4. The installation, maintenance and repair of natural or manufactured gas piping;
5. The installation, maintenance or connection of pneumatic controls and control piping for the control of air, liquid or gas temperatures, radiators, convectors, cabinet unit heaters, fan coil units, air handlers utilizing hydronic coils, mechanical ventilation for radon mitigation, humidifiers, flues and patented chimneys;
6. The installation, maintenance or connection of pneumatic controls and control piping of automatic oil, gas or coal burning equipment, gasoline or diesel oil dispensing equipment and, in replacement cases only, the connection thereof of the wiring from a dedicated electrical service disconnect box of adequate size to accommodate the equipment and controls;
7. The testing and balancing of hydronic systems; and
8. The installation, repair, testing or closure of waste oil underground storage tanks.
|Contact UsPrivacy NoticeLegal StatementAccessibility Statement|
|DCA HomeComplaint Forms ProposalsAdoptionsContact DCA|
|OAG HomeContact OAGAbout OAGOAG NewsOAG FAQs|
|NJ HomeServices A to Z Departments/AgenciesFAQs|