Petition of Monmouth County
Freeholders to the legislature. 1782.
New Jersey's colonial legislature consisted of the General Assembly and the Council of New Jersey. The 1776 State Constitution replaced the Council of New Jersey with the Legislative Council. This was succeeded by the New Jersey Senate under the state constitution of 1844. The Governor's Privy Council existed during the 1777-1845 period. The Revolutionary War-period legislature also included the Provincial Congress of New Jersey and the Council of Safety.