Contact The NJ State Museum
NJ State Museum
PO Box 530
Trenton, NJ 08625
Museum & Auditorium Galleries:
205 West State Street
Tel: (609) 292-6464 (recorded message)
New Jersey’s 350th Birthday Celebration at the NJ State Museum
and Capital Complex!
NJ350: A Capital Celebration takes place June 22 from 11:00 – 5:00 and will offer indoor and outdoor activities that run the length of the Capitol Complex, from the Museum to the Old Barrack. Also includes a gallery walk through the Civil War flag collection at the State Archives, and programing at Petty’s Run and the Old Barracks Museum.
On-site for the day will also be the acclaimed New Jersey Hall of Fame Mobile Museum. Highlights in the Museum include:
- Curator-led guided tours of New Jersey on Display, an exciting new exhibition chronicling New Jersey’s involvement in seven world’s fairs held between 1876 and 1964 which also reunites for the first time 4 massive vases made by the Trenton Pottery Company for the St. Louis Expo.
- A hands-on bridge building workshop for children in the Museum’s new Innovation Lab and Learning Center.
- A Colonial activity cart and story time for children.
- Specially discounted $3 Planetarium shows.
- A mini retrospective, "NJ in the Movies," featuring filmmakers from Thomas Edison to Zach Braff, presented by the New Jersey Film Commission in the Museum’s Auditorium.
- In celebration of New Jersey's rich film history, David Bianculli, founder and editor of the online magazine TV Worth Watching and TV critic for NPR's Fresh Air, will share his list of memorable New Jersey Films and TV shows.
Other events planned for the day include:
- Live performances on the outdoor and indoor stages all day long will include the world premiere of award-winning StrangeDog Theatre Company’s quirky, irreverent salute to NJ’s History called “A Brief Synopsis of the Entire History of the Entire State of New Jersey Entirely.”
- Musical acts include the unique styles of New Jersey- based Rainbow Fresh, local singer songwriters, Anker and Sarah Donner, the Steve Carrington Jazz Trio and a special appearance by The Capital Philharmonic.
- Trenton –based professional Dance Company, Dancespora will perform LIKE A WOMAN: A Tribute to Nina Simone, and The Garvey School will bring their high-energy, African-centered dance and drumming performance that has earned them popularity far and wide.
- New Jersey’s authentic 1664 “birth certificate” will be on display in the State House Rotunda, and visitors can take a guided tour of New Jersey’s State Capitol building.
- Specialized history tours and programming at Petty’s Run, Revolutionary soldiers at the Old Barracks and a gallery walk in the Civil War Flag Gallery at 225 W. State Street.
- The Princeton Symphony Orchestra's BRAVO! Instrument Petting Zoo will invite kids of all ages to try out a variety of classical music instruments with the guidance of expert PSO musicians.
- Local youth from Trenton’s own Stoop Theatre will take the stage and perform original material based on their own Trenton-centric experiences. Under the direction of Passage Theatre and Trenton High the troop will perform a piece titled “Separation Anxiety.”
- Food trucks, giant birthday cake, magician, chalk mural and more!