Fox announces planned
improvements to Route 73 in Maple Shade
Transportation Commissioner Jamie Fox today joined state and local officials to announce improvements planned for Route 73 between Fox Meadow/Fellowship Road and the Main Street bridge in Maple Shade Township, Burlington County.
“Area residents who use Route 73 every day know all too well the congestion and delay that occurs here,” Commissioner Fox said. “Working with the community, we have identified and are proceeding with plans to improve this section of Route 73 to make it safer and less congested. In our draft Fiscal Year 2003 budget, we will spend 3 million dollars to advance the engineering work for this project.”
“An Evesham or Maple Shade resident who works in North Philadelphia and needs to get home to pick up his child from day care should not have to sit for ten minutes at this intersection because traffic is backed up.
“When Governor McGreevey appointed me to this job, he made it clear that improving the quality of life for New Jersey’s taxpayers is a top priority. This project is a step in that direction for area residents.”
To correct the problems to this area of Rt. 73, NJDOT will:
The estimate cost of the project is $26 million dollars, with completion scheduled for 2006.
- Widen Rt. 73 to provide four northbound lanes and three southbound lanes at the intersection of Fox Meadow Drive/Fellowship Rd.
- Construct a double left-turn lane from Fox Meadow Drive to southbound Route 73.
- Construct a connector road from the Fox Meadow Apartments to Main Street.
- Modify the Rt. 73 interchange at north Main St. to provide the required acceleration and deceleration lanes on Rt. 73.
- Replace the existing north Main St. bridge over Rt. 73 to accommodate the proposed accleration/deceleration lanes and provide 16’-6” vertical clearance.
- Install traffic signals on north Main St. at the northbound and southbound Rt. 73 ramp terminals.
- Improve the drainage system of Rt. 73 at North Main St.
- Close access to southbound Rt. 73 from Cedar Avenue and County Avenue.