NJDOT to begin reconstruction of
I-78/Garden State Parkway Interchange 142
(Trenton)—Commissioner Kris Kolluri today announced that the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) will reconstruct the Route 78/Garden State Parkway Interchange 142 in Hillside and Union Townships, Union County and Irvington Township, Essex County. The project will reduce congestion by providing new ramps from the Garden State Parkway to Route 78.
“NJDOT’s reconstruction of the high-volume I-78/Garden State Parkway interchange will relieve congestion and improve safety,” said Commissioner Kolluri. “Investment in the structural integrity and operation of our aging infrastructure will ensure that New Jersey motorists maintain safety and mobility.”
The $149 million state and federally funded rehabilitation project will improve traffic flow at the interchange by constructing the two missing ramp moves from the Garden State Parkway to I-78. New ramps will be constructed from the Garden State Parkway northbound to I-78 westbound and the Garden State Parkway southbound to I-78 eastbound, which will reduce driver delays and congestion. In addition, NJDOT will reconstruct a one-mile stretch of pavement on I-78, widen the bridges on I-78, add new acceleration and deceleration lanes, and relocate noise-barriers. The reconstruction of the I-78 pavement will ensure a smoother and safer surface for the truck traffic that uses this corridor to access the nearby port facilities. Both NJDOT and the New Jersey Turnpike Authority funded the project, which is scheduled for completion in January 2012.
NJDOT designed the interchange reconstruction in stages in order to minimize traffic impacts. The first stage, from May to September 2008, will entail the beginning of construction of the ramp from the Garden State Parkway North to I-78 West. In order to reconstruct the interchange, NJDOT will implement the following traffic pattern changes in summer 2008:
- Florence Drive in Union Township has been closed to traffic in the vicinity of the I-78 westbound local ramp. No detour will be implemented.
- Temporary daytime single lane closures will take place on Mill Road, Glenwood Avenue and Union Avenue in Hillside, Irvington and Union. During the closures, NJDOT will begin utility relocations and installation of construction barriers to protect the work zone during construction of the new ramps.
- During the week of June 2, NJDOT will begin temporary shoulder and single-lane closures on the Garden State Parkway from the Union Toll Plaza to Exit 143 between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. from Monday to Friday and between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. from Monday to Thursday. Double-lane closures will be allowed between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. from Monday to Thursday. During the closures, NJDOT will reconstruct the shoulders and install construction barriers. The construction barriers will protect the work zone during construction of the new ramps and overpasses.
- Starting in mid-June, traffic on the Garden State Parkway Toll Plaza exit to I-78 westbound will shift while NJDOT begins construction of the new ramps and relocates the exit ramp and toll plaza. The ramp will remain open.
- Starting the week of June 9, NJDOT will temporarily close one lane of I-78 westbound local between milepost 52.3 and 53.3 for installation of construction barrier, and construction of a new acceleration lane. The single-lane closures will be allowed from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. Monday to Friday, from 8 p.m. on Saturday to 9 a.m. on Sunday, and from 9 p.m. on Sunday to 6:30 a.m. on Monday.
- NJDOT will close two lanes of I-78 westbound local between milepost 52.3 and 53.3 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday to Friday, from 10 p.m. on Saturday to 6 a.m. on Sunday, and from Sunday at 11 p.m. to Monday at 5 a.m.
- Starting in mid-June, NJDOT will start temporary lane closures of I-78 local in both directions between mileposts 53.0 and 53.8 from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. Monday to Friday, from 8 p.m. on Saturday to 9 a.m. on Sunday, and from 9 p.m. on Sunday to 6:30 a.m. on Monday. During the closures, NJDOT will install construction barriers in the shoulders in anticipation of the bridge widening work.
Variable Message Signs on the Garden State Parkway and I-78 will inform motorists of the traffic pattern changes. NJDOT encourages motorists to consider alternative transportation options such as carpools, park and rides and public transportation.
Real time traffic information is available at www.511nj.org or www.njcommuter.com.