NJDOT to reconstruct
Route 78 in Hunterdon County
(Trenton) - Commissioner Kris Kolluri today announced that the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) will reconstruct eight miles of roadway and install new guide rails on Route 78 in both directions from Bethlehem to Clinton , Hunterdon County .
"This project will preserve the pavement and reduce roadway noise," said Governor Jon S. Corzine. "Route 78 is one of the busiest east-west highways in the state, and it is imperative to ensure mobility and safety."
On Tuesday, September 2, NJDOT will begin a $16.6 million resurfacing and guide rail replacement project on Route 78 from east of Tunnel Road , at milepost 10, in Bethlehem to east of Beaver Brook, at milepost 18, in Clinton . NJDOT will use rubberized asphalt that will reduce highway noise on this stretch of I-78. The project will extend the life of the roadway by 12 to 15 years.
The following lane closures are scheduled as part of the project:
- On I-78, eastbound single lane and shoulder closures may be necessary from Monday through Thursday from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., on Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., on Saturday from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m., and on Sunday from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following day.
- Double-lane closures may be necessary from Monday through Thursday from 8:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m., and Friday 8:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. On Saturday, double-lane closures may occur from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m., and Sunday from 9 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. the following morning.
- On I-78 westbound, single-lane and shoulder closures may occur from Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., on Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 10 p.m. to 9 a.m., on Saturday from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m., and on Sunday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following day.
- Double-lane closures of I-78 westbound may be necessary from Monday through Thursday from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., on Friday from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m., on Saturday from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m., and on Sunday from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following day.
- Intermittent ramp closures with detours will be necessary.
- Full roadway closures may take place for 15 minute intervals from midnight to 4 a.m.
Variable message signs will be installed on I-78 to inform motorists of traffic pattern changes during construction. Real time traffic information and construction updates are available at www.511nj.org.