P.O. Box 600
Contact: Erin Phalon
RELEASE: April 8, 2009
NJDOT plans for Easter weekend
(Trenton) - Commissioner Stephen Dilts today kicked off the Easter weekend by reiterating the New Jersey Department of
Transportation’s (NJDOT) commitment to highway safety and encouraging motorists to exercise caution as they enjoy the holiday weekend.
NJDOT announced that beginning at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, April 11, all construction work that affects travel lanes on state highways will be suspended
through noon on Monday, April 13. Lane closures will be permitted for emergency reasons only.
“NJDOT is promoting safety by suspending construction on state highways and urging drivers to obey the speed limit,” Dilts said.
In addition to suspending construction work, Dilts highlighted the following statewide highway safety initiatives:
- The state-of-the-art Statewide Traffic Management Center enables NJDOT, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority and the New Jersey State Police to
manage and respond to accidents, adverse weather, special events and congestion. The facility operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
- NJDOT’s real time traffic Web site, www.NJ511.info, offers interactive maps and displays traffic
incidents. The Google Maps-based Web site offers motorists real time traffic conditions on State highways, interstate highways, the Garden State
Parkway and the New Jersey Turnpike. The Web site highlights incidents, construction, weather and special events.
- NJDOT’s 511 interactive telephone line provides motorists personalized real-time traffic information. Motorists may also subscribe to MyNJ511,
a Personalized Traveler Service that sends free, real-time traffic alerts to cell phones, email addresses and Personal Digital Assistants.
- Drivers are encouraged to call the following numbers for roadside assistance or to report a disabled vehicle, roadside debris or other
- On the Turnpike, call #95.
- On the Parkway, call #GSP (#477).
- On the Atlantic City Expressway, call #ACE (#223).
- To report aggressive driving on any road, call #77.