Repairs begin on the Route 72
Dorland J. Henderson Memorial Bridge
(Trenton) - The New Jersey Department of Transportation today announced the beginning of a bridge deck repair project on the Route 72 Manahawkin Bay (Dorland J. Henderson Memorial) Bridge across the Barnegat Bay between Ship Bottom Borough and Stafford Township, Ocean County.
The $4 million interim bridge deck repair is funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
The Route 72 Manahawkin Bay Bridge is a vital link for residents, businesses and visitors to Long Beach Island as well as the overall roadway network of Ocean County. This deck rehabilitation project will maintain safety and extend the life of the bridge deck in advance of a project to replace the Route 72 Manahawkin Causeway within the next few years. The project will improve safety on the bridge by repairing the concrete bridge deck, reconstructing the roadway curb and repaving Route 72 with a new surface course over the Manahawkin Bay.
On Wednesday, September 16, NJDOT will begin temporary single lane closures on Route 72 in both directions as construction starts on the bridge deck rehabilitation. Initial construction work will entail concrete repairs to the deck in preparation for application of the deck overlay.
The project will be done in stages this fall and in the spring of 2010. While the work is ongoing, the following single-lane closures hours are allowed;
From September 16 to October 11:
- One lane of Route 72 eastbound is allowed closed Monday through Thursday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. the next day, Friday from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next day, Saturday from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. the next day and Sunday from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. the next day.
- One lane of Route 72 westbound is allowed closed Monday through Friday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. the next day, Saturday from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next day and Sunday from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. the next day.
From October 12 to March 31:
- Single lane-closures are permitted at anytime in both directions.
From April 1 to May 1:
- Single lane-closures are permitted at anytime on Route 72 eastbound from Monday through Thursday.
- One lane of Route 72 eastbound is allowed closed Friday from 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next day, Saturday from 8 p.m. to 9 a.m. the next day and Sunday from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. the next day.
- Single lane-closures are permitted at anytime on Route 72 westbound from Monday through Friday.
- One lane of Route 72 westbound is allowed closed Saturday from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next day and Sunday from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. the next day.
- At least one lane of traffic in each direction will be open at all times on Route 72. All work is scheduled to be completed by May 1, 2010.
Variable message signs will notify motorists on Route 72 of all lane closures and upcoming traffic pattern changes. NJDOT provides emergency roadway information, construction schedule updates and real time traffic information and images at www.nj511.info
The Department is also advancing a much more comprehensive program through design that aims to address the Route 72 connection to LBI.
ARRA will stimulate New Jersey's economy by creating or supporting thousands of transportation-related jobs and making long-term improvements to roads, bridges and the transit system. New Jersey's transportation allocation includes $652 million for highways and bridges and approximately $425 million for transit. That total includes approximately $164 million for county and local transportation priorities and approximately $19.5 million for transportation enhancement projects.