Interstate 76 in Bellmawr and Mount Ephraim to be resurfaced
Lane closures and traffic shifts planned over the weekend
(Trenton) - A maintenance resurfacing and roadway repair project will begin tonight on Interstate 76 in Camden County.
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) will mill and repave a 0.1-mile stretch of the highway in both directions at the busy southern terminus leading to and from Route 42 and I-295 over two nights this weekend.
The following detailed traffic pattern changes are planned during the overnight resurfacing operations:
• On Friday, December 3, from 10 p.m. until around 2 a.m., Saturday, December 4 the I-76 northbound Express lanes and the I-295 northbound exit ramp to I-76 northbound Express will be closed. All Route 42 northbound traffic will use I-76 northbound Local lanes. I-295 northbound motorists headed for I-76 will be directed to the merge with I-76 northbound Local lanes.
• At around 2 a.m. Saturday, December 4, NJDOT will reopen the reconstructed I-76 northbound Express lanes and close I-76 Local lanes and the left-most lane of I-295 northbound to traffic. Route 42 northbound motorists can use the I-76 northbound Express lanes or merge to the right with I-295 northbound. Route 42 and I-295 northbound motorists seeking access to I-76 Local lanes north of the construction zone will be directed to the Route 168 interchange to U-turn on to I-295 southbound to the ramp for I-76 northbound Local lanes.
• The work on I-76 northbound is expected to be completed, and all lanes reopened to traffic, by 9 a.m. Saturday, December 4.
• On Saturday, December 4, at 10 p.m. NJDOT will begin resurfacing operations on I-76 southbound which will require temporary single and double-lane closures, as well as traffic shifts. At least one lane of I-76 southbound will remain open to traffic during the resurfacing work.
• This work will require the closure of the I-76 southbound ramp to I-295 southbound overnight. I-76 southbound motorists destined for I-295 southbound will be detoured to Route 42 southbound to the Creek Road Exit to Wellwood Avenue to Route 42 northbound to I-295 northbound to the Route 168 interchange to U-turn on to I-295 southbound.
• The work on I-76 southbound is expected to be completed, and all lanes reopened to traffic, by 9 a.m. Sunday, December 5.
NJDOT scheduled this necessary roadway repair work overnight to minimize impacts to traffic. Some minor delays are anticipated due to the close proximity of the construction to three major highways. NJ State Police will assist with traffic management both nights.
Variable Message Signs will provide notification of all closures and detours. NJDOT provides emergency roadway information, construction schedule updates and real time traffic information and images at www.511nj.org