Safety and Operational Upgrades
In addition to building a third through lane in each direction and new shoulders or auxiliary lanes, this project includes:
- widening the Amboy Avenue bridge,
- reconfiguring the Grandview Avenue, Parsonage Road and Ford Avenue intersections with new jughandle ramps and interconnected traffic signals,
- removing the bridge over the former Conrail line and lowering of Route 1,
- building a 945-foot pedestrian bridge along the abandoned Conrail rail line that is being converted to the Middlesex Greenway,
- installing an underground drainage detention system, median barrier curb, retaining walls, signs, ITS cameras and crash protection devices.
The New Jersey Department of Transportation is coordinating with local officials, police and emergency responders and the New Jersey Turnpike Authority to ensure safety.
Drivers are encouraged to monitor the information on the variable message signs, highway advisory radio and media traffic reports and to check NJcommuter.com for Real Time Traffic Information.