The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) has made a continuous effort to involve the local communities of Brick Township, Point Pleasant, Wall Township and Brielle in the development of the design of the Route 70 bridge replacement project. There has been ongoing and open communication between NJDOT, the residents and public officials of these communities. This cooperation will continue through the duration of the project.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the PDF files which is available at our state Adobe Acrobat Access page.
- During Feasibility Assessment the NJDOT initiated the public outreach effort. Public Meetings in the Borough of Point Pleasant and the Borough of Brielle were held on February 21, 1997. In August of 1997, the NJDOT held a Public Information Center in Brick Township. On December 9, 1998 the NJDOT met with local business owners at Peterson's Riviera Inn. The NJDOT held an Officials Briefing and Local Business Outreach meeting on September 1, 1999 in Brick Township.
- During Final Design, the NJDOT held an Officials Briefing in the Borough of Brielle on April 17, 2002 (pdf 21 kb) and Public Information Centers in the Borough of Brielle and Brick Township on June 18 and 20, 2002 (pdf 19 kb) respectively. As a result of the comments received from the public officials and members of the community, the NJDOT performed a new Vessel Height Survey during July of 2002 and concluded that a 25' underclearance could be provided. The footprint of the project was then revised to reflect a smaller bridge (724' long) with a 25' underclearance and a signalized intersection at Route 70 and River Road/Riviera Drive.
- The NJDOT then held an Officials Briefing in Brick Township on September 17, 2002 (pdf 17 kb) and Public Information Centers in the Borough of Brielle and Brick Township on October 15 and 29, 2002 (pdf 16 kb) respectively. At these meetings, the NJDOT was requested to include a noise wall along Route 70 eastbound in Brielle to mitigate noise from Route 70.
- During Preliminary Design, the Department presented the proposed plans for deforestation and reforestation. An Officials Briefing was held on February 2, 2004 (pdf 26 kb), at the Borough of Brielle Municipal Building, and a Public Information Center was held on February 25, 2004 (pdf 18 kb) at the Curtis House. Brick Township public officials and residents were invited to both meetings as well as those from Brielle.
- On April 26, 2004 the Borough of Brielle issued a resolution of Support for the project.
- Throughout the design of the project and the community outreach process, the Township of Brick had indicated their support for the project.
- On February 24, 2005 (pdf 37 kb) the Department met with the Borough of Brielle to discuss construction noise related issues, lane closures, nigh work and the overall construction schedule. Also discussed was a proposed detour that would be implemented at the end of Stage 1 in Spring 2007 for the closure of River Road and Riviera Drive. Route 70 through traffic would not be affected. The duration of the detour was expected to be five days.
- On October 4, 2006 (pdf 2.7 mb) the Department met with officials from the Township of Brick, Borough of Point Pleasant and Ocean County to discuss the proposed construction detours. The detours were reviewed with the officials and members of their respective police departments. It is expected that the two detours will be short in duration, not exceeding a total of five days, and they will be implemented during Spring 2007.
- The NJDOT is working closely with local emergency responders including police and fire personnel to ensure traffic flow as well as emergency response.
- NJDOT is in communication with local marina owners who will be affected by the construction of the new bridge.
- NJDOT will be advertising in regional newspapers to provide additional awareness and notification.