400-406 Central Avenue
|400-406 Central Avenue was a combined commercial/residential building developed by the Goerke Company, designed by the firm of William E. Lehman, Architect, and completed in 1912. The primary pursuit of the Goerke Company, headed by Rudolph J. Goerke of Newark, was the ownership and operation of department stores, but the company was also involved in a range of real estate and development ventures in the Newark area.
The primary elevation of the Goerke Building faced Central Avenue and presented a formal Neo-Renaissance style to the busy boulevard. Modern canopies and aluminum and glass storefronts masked its first story.
The Goerke Company was a frequent client of William E. Lehman, Architect, one of the city's leading architectural firms. Lehman designed the Goerke's large flagship store on Broad Street opposite Military Park in 1924 that later became S. Klein, On the Square, a major retailer. The building was demolished in 2007 after being vacant since 1976.